• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce/CUCV Combination

L B

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this post should be here, but it's technially a Deuce Mod so...

I currently have an '86 M1028 and plan on getting a M35A2 with the intent of putting the CUCV body on the Deuce frame/chassis.

What I'm looking for is any insight that anyone may have to help ease the process along, as I haven't found any threads of anyone attempting this.

Based on my research, both frames are 34" wide. The average wheelbase that most use when bobbing a Deuce is 130" (I do plan on bobbing it) and the CUCV wheelbase is 131.5", so I shouldn't have too much difficulty there. As far as drivetrain, I'm looking at using the 5.9 Cummins with an Eaton 6-speed (still unsure of which model) and a Rockwell T-136-27 Transfer Case. I'm looking at keeping the axles from the Deuce.

I can do the fab work needed (I know there will be a LOT), but I just wanted to post this to try and get more eyes on it. Someone else might see a major flaw in this plan that I haven't noticed yet.

Thanks in advance,

-LB

L B

I don’t think the CUCV body will look right on the straight deuce frame. Look into body swapped mud trucks from the South.
I think that may come down to a matter of personal preference. I've seen pictures of swaps as you described and while the way they were done did not look the best, that had more to do with alignment issues and such rather than the main concept itself. Honestly, some of the pictures of swaps that I've seen would have looked great if they would have simply centered the wheel wells over the tires.

L B

What about the Deuce axles under said CUCV? That might ride a little better with custom suspension etc.
I had considered that but I'd like to have the strength of the Deuce frame as well. I was planning on doing custom suspension to help with the ride quality as well.

L B

71DeuceAK I plan on it being streetable, I've been looking into the local requirements involved. It'll probably see off-road as necessary but definitely not a mud truck.

V8srfun I'll be using it for towing, hauling, driving, etc., just regular pickup stuff. It's going to be my "dream truck" build. I've always wanted to build a custom squarebody but I want it to be able to take whatever I can throw at it, so I want the toughest squarebody pickup that I can build.

L B

Sounds like an interesting project! Find a deuce and a CUCV yet?
I have a M1028 and will be getting a Deuce in the near future once I get home and everything settles down. I've just been trying to hammer out the details of my plan so I can avoid most of the potential mistakes during the actual build.

L B

Does it have to be a Deuce, or is a 5 ton also an option?
As far as I'm aware, there's no reason I couldn't use a 5 ton. The only reason I opted for the Deuce is that the average wheel base of a bobbed Duece is really close to the CUCV wheel base. It feels like I'd be wasting a lot of frame cutting down a 5 ton to fit, but it's not out as an option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks