• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce from PA to Montana in Dec, 2011

jmoneysmithmas

I am looking for someone to haul an operable deuce (m109a4) from Pennsylvania to Billings, Montana in December, 2011. Appx distance: 2000 miles. Appx weight: 16,300 lbs

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will take a lowboy, and even then, it will be best to have the tires taken off for the trip to lower the overall height. More of a pain to load and unload (drive on, remove tires/wheels, put inside back of M109, chain down truck, reverse process at end of trip). Hard work in cold weather is not going to be cheap! And it's a bit much for a backhaul. Good Luck!

jmoneysmithmas

For reference and referrals, details about the transport are in my Uship advertisement:

Heavy Equipment Transport from Spring City to Kalispell | AM General m109a4 military 6x6 2.5-ton truck

Anyone know what rates are going for right now? I found some old posts talking about $1.50- $2.00 per mile... but the economy, time of year, and fuel prices were different. I shipped my loaded Suburban from Anchorage, AK to Tacoma, WA via truck transport for $700 in winter 2009... 9500 lbs and 4500 miles (1/2 the weight, 2x the distance).

By the way- destination/drop off location is flexible. I can't take a week off work to do the entire roadtrip, but if i could get it at least to the Dakota's, i could drive it the remainder.

thanks guys

jmoneysmithmas

Good suggestion bones1... I considered that too, and determined it would be my last-resort option... God-forbid, something went out on the truck in -20° temps out in the middle of North Dakota... you know what happens next (cha-ching $$$), and perhaps... a life-threatening situation (not much traffic and cell service is minimal in those parts).

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will be coming back from Memphis via indianapolis all the way back to western montana with My F-350 and 25' adjustable GN.If you could get it to Indy. It will be empty on the way back. I can clean under 13'6 with the shop van on my trailer. Just helps to flatten the tires to give a few extra inches. It will be in Dec/Jan

RetiredNavy

Shouldnt get that cold yet. Whoever is the driver gets your C/C for expenses on the way to the destination. But we are getting snow right now in the Bull Mountains north of Billings,,, so who knows.

jmoneysmithmas

Have you ever finished this move ? And if so how it went ? I'm interested to move my 109 this fall from MD to MT. Cheers !
I made the trek, with only some oil leak issues that were resolved about 1/2 way through the trip. Details are in above posts. Good luck with your trip, and bring a buddy/helper along. PM me when you get closer to your voyage date, and I'll send you my contact info in case you run into any trouble within MT state lines... I'm typically in Central MT, but often in Western MT too.

Since getting my M109 home, it's been at work every day with me since April. Although the truck doesn't move much, the 109 box has become my job-site office and is working great. I've been too busy to do much work to it, but I plan to do some more refurbishing this fall when work slows down.

On the to-do list:

Remove CTIS; I need to keep things simple
replace/re-seal wheel rings
new tachometer (recently opened up the dash panel, and found why mine isn't working: it had been wrenched upon with some pliers, and looks pretty shredded)
replace all wood in window frames (on 109 box)
replace screens in said windows
diagnose/fix/replace M109 electrical. I may re-wire the whole thing and install RV style 30-amp cord to the outside

I'm working in a pretty remote area of Montana, and there is limited phone service and no internet, but I will try to get more photos uploaded.

A couple quick and easy mods I did since my last post:

I bought a motion-sensory LED light (battery powered) and installed on the shifter casing which faces the drivers feet (or an intruders eyes). I think it was under $10 at Walmart, and it came with a sleeve so you can remove it and use as a flashlight.

Also at Walmart, I found a steel box in the sporting goods area. It's a locking pistol case made by Winchester (not a safe). I think it was around $20-30. I bolted it upright on the rear of the cab so that the single swinging door opens towards the front of the cab. I now have a locking compartment. I left a gap under it, so there is just enough room for my power inverter to sit on the floor.

I found a new (still in wrapper) Titan 3500 diesel Generator for a good deal on craigslist, and it's ready to go... as soon as i can get the electrical system in the 109 working.

I have a new shore power cord for the M109 box if you (or anyone else) is interested... I don't think I'm going to utilize it. $200 OBO I'll probably put it up in the classifieds as soon as i am eligible (need some more posts I think).

Stalin

Thanks for info, friend. I read the other thread and, oh boy, you can write a novel based on that experience, or make a movie about you, alone in your 109, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by hungry wolves, with a single bullet left, and blizzard blowing full power outside.
My truck is an older one - 1966, same age like me, it's a manual transmission and does not have CTS.
Right now I'm trying to fix a fuel leak at the flame heater pump.
I don't have a date fixed yet for my move, but is going to be before the winter starts.
Did you had any problems at truck scales on your way ?
When I bought my 109 I had to drive it six hours to get it home, and that was a good adventure. On flat road my truck goes up to 65 MPH easily, below 2400 RPM.
Engine is strong, is almost brand new, I would say below 2000 miles, dometer was broken when i got it.
Will keep in touch, I hope I might meet you in Kalispell some time soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks