• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce: I just broke my primary fuel canister

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was kind of in a panic when I posted this, this truck can't be down, its on call 24/7 .

I knew there was stuff out there available, just didnt know where .

A quick run to Oreillys auto parts for a remote filter mount was a complete waste of time, they couldn't even show me anything they could order that would work to adapt to a spin on, they didnt even have any decent brass for me to splice the lines together so the truck wouldn't be down .

A quick run to a local one of a kind store (Blackbird) netted me the fittings I needed to get the truck up and running, now I literally don't even want to touch another filter on this old boy, I mean I will, but I don't wanna .

The filter I got for this was considerably different than the one that came out, and man that filter had been in there a long LONG time and there was a lot of gunk n junk and rust particles in that housing .

Here's a few pics . 🇺🇸

20230710_185050.jpg20230710_184944.jpg20230710_184926.jpg20230710_185130.jpg20230710_184019.jpg

Last edited:

davidb56

you can get a primary filter with the mounting housing off of fleabay that has a water drain on the spin on filter, to take the housing and filter off a old F250 with the 7.3IDI diesel and mount it to the frame...all kinds of options to jerry rig a better system there. there's only a little pressure (maybe 10-15psi) so you got lots of options. Rich people use Racor water separator filters.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was kind of in a panic when I posted this, this truck can't be down, its on call 24/7 .

I knew there was stuff out there available, just didnt know where .

A quick run to Oreillys auto parts for a remote filter mount was a complete waste of time, they couldn't even show me anything they could order that would work to adapt to a spin on, they didnt even have any decent brass for me to splice the lines together so the truck wouldn't be down .

A quick run to a local one of a kind store (Blackbird) netted me the fittings I needed to get the truck up and running, now I literally don't even want to touch another filter on this old boy, I mean I will, but I don't wanna .

The filter I got for this was considerably different than the one that came out, and man that filter had been in there a long LONG time and there was a lot of gunk n junk and rust particles in that housing .

Here's a few pics, oh and I also made a crappy video so I just thought I'd share that with you as well .

You're welcome 🇺🇸

View attachment 901264View attachment 901265View attachment 901266View attachment 901267View attachment 901268
If you read the TM's that filter is supposed to be drain for water daily .

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way the original primary filter is designed is really cool, the filter is only in the top half of the housing, so the fuel comes in, dumps straight to the bottom with no interference, deposits any crap (rust water etc.) in the bottom of the filter housing where it stays, then heads up thru the filter and on to the secondary filter .

W/o the primary filter, all of that would go straight to the secondary filter which has a smaller micron rating and it would have nothing better to do than plug that filter up and ruin your day .

scrapman1971

The way the original primary filter is designed is really cool, the filter is only in the top half of the housing, so the fuel comes in, dumps straight to the bottom with no interference, deposits any crap (rust water etc.) in the bottom of the filter housing where it stays, then heads up thru the filter and on to the secondary filter .

W/o the primary filter, all of that would go straight to the secondary filter which has a smaller micron rating and it would have nothing better to do than plug that filter up and ruin your day .
Thank you. So are the spin on fuel filter kits that only have two filters a bad idea?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get the two spin on filters that replace both of your secondary filters now, and anorher filter with mounting boss that replaces tthe primary with a spin on as well but with a higher micron # .

I bought a mounting boss that uses the Wix 33405 which is a 14 micron water seperator with the drain on the bottom .

scrapman1971

You can get the two spin on filters that replace both of your secondary filters now, and anorher filter with mounting boss that replaces tthe primary with a spin on as well but with a higher micron # .

I bought a mounting boss that uses the Wix 33405 which is a 14 micron water seperator with the drain on the bottom .
Thank you again.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what some guys do is eliminate the pass side primary, then change the micron rating of the 1st secondary which would now be the primary, and leave the rating of the last filter alone, some guys even tighten up the rating on that but I don't .

Not sure if they put a water seperator on that 1st one or not, I sure would, some people say that the two secondary filters are overkill, I like having all that filter surface area, so mine stays as designed and from the amount of junk I've seen in the stand alone primary filters mine is staying put, just getting modernized and honestly thats only because my housing broke .

My truck works out in the mountains in dusty Smokey conditions, there are no fuel stations, so fuel comes from a can and I can't always make sure it's perfectly clean or pre-filter it, and even at a gas station you get what you get, so all three filters is a must for me personally .

scrapman1971

I think what some guys do is eliminate the pass side primary, then change the micron rating of the 1st secondary which would now be the primary, and leave the rating of the last filter alone, some guys even tighten up the rating on that but I don't .

Not sure if they put a water seperator on that 1st one or not, I sure would, some people say that the two secondary filters are overkill, I like having all that filter surface area, so mine stays as designed and from the amount of junk I've seen in the stand alone primary filters mine is staying put, just getting modernized and honestly thats only because my housing broke .

My truck works out in the mountains in dusty Smokey conditions, there are no fuel stations, so fuel comes from a can and I can't always make sure it's perfectly clean or pre-filter it, and even at a gas station you get what you get, so all three filters is a must for me personally .
Thank you. That was kind of my question. I'm assuming they make a spin on filter that will separate water also for the primary . Then it would be like my ram 3500 with two filters.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So yesterday I finally got my spin on primary fuel filter base and filter installed, and the other two secondary filters changes, no one will ever convince me that they sent the correct gaskets, what a pita, I ended up removing the entire housing from the engine and messing with it for entirely too long but its back together and so far leak free .

Now onto the oil change, I removed those filters and replaced em with zero problem, the only thing thus far that hasn't been a problem, except for the filter kit I bought having several gaskets that fit nothing (here) and not all of the gaskets I need, but I figured out a way to make everything work .

Do you guys think it'd be okay to run this Lucas oil ?
Its the only oil I have on hand that I have enough of, what say thee ?

20230725_171407.jpg

ToddJK

So yesterday I finally got my spin on primary fuel filter base and filter installed, and the other two secondary filters changes, no one will ever convince me that they sent the correct gaskets, what a pita, I ended up removing the entire housing from the engine and messing with it for entirely too long but its back together and so far leak free .

Now onto the oil change, I removed those filters and replaced em with zero problem, the only thing thus far that hasn't been a problem, except for the filter kit I bought having several gaskets that fit nothing (here) and not all of the gaskets I need, but I figured out a way to make everything work .

Do you guys think it'd be okay to run this Lucas oil ?
Its the only oil I have on hand that I have enough of, what say thee ?

View attachment 902104
It's motor oil and at least it's 15w-40, so I see no issues with it. If anything, it's most likely on par with other diesel oils like Rotella, but being that it says long drain, I wonder if that oil has a blend with their flagship stabilizer.

As far as installing your primary fuel filter base, did you need additional fittings to make it work or was it compatible with the current fuel line fittings?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ToddJK
I removed the fittings from the old base and put them in this one, hooked up the lines and done .

All original plumbing like the day it was made but with spin on .

I even mounted the base to the original plate by just drilling three holes in the vertical part of it .

ToddJK

@ToddJK
I removed the fittings from the old base and put them in this one, hooked up the lines and done .

All original plumbing like the day it was made but with spin on .

I even mounted the base to the original plate by just drilling three holes in the vertical part of it .
Nice, I was wondering if you were able to reuse the male fittings from the old housing. Thanks, I might convert mine on over just to dump the canister, spin on would be way more convenient, lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks