• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce in the snow?

Lax

I am planing to buy a M35 when I find one localy, I hope. One of the questions I have for you experts is how well a M35 will do in snow and deep? Should I go to singles instead of duelies? Is it worth the cost and trouble? I live in Upstate New York. (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) I'm told it snows here some times. A few days before Thanksgiving south of Buffalo got about 16 inches of snow already. What depth of snow can a empty M35 travel trough on a hard frozen base? Any advise would be a big help.

:?:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need chains for the snow (and mud). I have driven in about a foot of snow and had no problem on a 20% incline. Forget about driving in the snow w/o chains.
I like singles, more ground clearance and all tires track, which is good off-road/snow/mud.

Ugg013

Guys:

I don't want to start any wars or anything, but I've driven deuces in all kinds of extremes, never using chains, and never getting stuck. Granted, in one place, an M37 sacraficed it's life to become a bridge, but those NDT's were designed for tatical situations with NO roads in mind. They need to be aired down in mud and snow. Now on wet pavement, THEY SUCK!! :roll: That's why I went with the NATO NDT's on the Beast.

I was in an engineer unit (actually, several), and we went places building roads, so, there were none to drive on. At one point (for punishment) I drove an M49, and had to get to the equipment to fuel em up, which meant I had to get out to where THEY were (not like the civiy world where they come to you). Then again, I once took a 4X2 dump thru a mud field and of course got stuck. The first Cat they sent to rescue me got stuck less than 1/3 of the way thru (I was almost out). :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)

red devils dude

Duce in the snow?

Lax said:
I am planing to buy a M35 when I find one localy, I hope. One of the questions I have for you experts is how well a M35 will do in snow and deep? Should I go to singles instead of duelies? Is it worth the cost and trouble? I live in Upstate New York. (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) I'm told it snows here some times. A few days before Thanksgiving south of Buffalo got about 16 inches of snow already. What depth of snow can a empty M35 travel trough on a hard frozen base? Any advise would be a big help.

:?:
hey I live in Syracuse man where are you?
and I'm going to singles so reply or PM me.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with 6x6's is that singles go through snow and mud much better than duals. Other comments here abut the value of chains are right on. They make a huge difference, but are a pain in the posterior to put on, and you do not want them on all of the time. If you run much on the road, you are wearing them out for no reason, and they are tough on tires and suspension. The best situation is to have the 1100 x 20 tires on the correct hubs to make them track properly. However, on my old M220 GMC duece, I just pulled the outer wheels on the rear axles for winter. The tracking difference never really caused a problem. Lowering air pressure so the continuous center rib on the military tires could move up allowing the outer treads to grip helped a lot. I went through soft snow up to 18" deep, but again snow can be powdery or very hard, making a big difference in how the truck handles it. I got stuck a couple of times, but usually I should not have been where I was anyway. Singles are definitely best in mud, even with chains on duals. Duals in some conditions push too much stuff ahead of them, severly hampering your ability to move forward. Once the center of the dual sets pack solid with mud, you are done, period. When it comes to ice, chains are the only really good answer. I have two complete sets, but after a couple of experiences of struggling with them, both putting them on and removing them when they are packed with mud, I shy away from them unless I absolutely HAVE to use them. If your truck is used a very large percentage of the time off road so you can put the chains on in the fall and take them off in the spring, then they are a more attractive answer. I will witness, though, that with them on, you feel almost unstoppable!!

mangus580

I have had good luck in the snow with mine. Been deep enough to have pushed snow with the front bumper!! Keep one thing in mind, those of us who live in the great snow belt have had more experience driving in it, and have better luck with a variety of vehicles....

of course.... keep in mind, that is MY duece in the stuck video in the gallery aua

Ugg013

M543A2 said:
I got stuck a couple of times, but usually I should not have been where I was anyway.
Guys:

I think THAT says it in a nutshell. :wink: Yeah, NDT's SUCK on anything that's wet and hard (no jokes please) and that includes ice, but generally, in tatical (off road) situations they were/are more than adequate. Also, if your going in an area where you NEED chains, you shouldn't be going alone.

Later
Ugg

M1075

They may have been adequate in their day 50 years ago, but I prefer to use advancements in tire design available today. Must be some reason uncle sam is kissing NDTs goodbye. From my experience, NDT = Non directional travel, i.e. stuck.

Ugg013

M1075 said:
They may have been adequate in their day 50 years ago, but I prefer to use advancements in tire design available today. Must be some reason uncle sam is kissing NDTs goodbye. From my experience, NDT = Non directional travel, i.e. stuck.
M1075:

Actually, I agree with you. If I were to have the Frog for something other than a resto project with my son (if he survives :wink: ), I'd do a swap on em too.

Later
Ugg 8)

rmgill

mangus580 said:
I have had good luck in the snow with mine. Been deep enough to have pushed snow with the front bumper!! Keep one thing in mind, those of us who live in the great snow belt have had more experience driving in it, and have better luck with a variety of vehicles....

of course.... keep in mind, that is MY duece in the stuck video in the gallery aua

So how bad was the front bumper? Seems like some fair leads attached to the frame would be a great thing for those winching operations to the rear.

mangus580

Its not bad.... some slight grooving, but not anything that couldnt be blamed on the previous owner ;-)

Yeah, roller fairleads on the winch would be GREAT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks