• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce oil seepage .

beastm35

just found a oil seepage on driver side of motor, now white smoke at start up then black smoke at running temp only going though 2 quartz oil in 8 months no drips im thinking head gasket
. any help

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are tons of places for oil to leak on the driver's side... valve covers, the oil filter base, the tappet cover, the oil cooler, etc. But, if the oil seepage is coming from between the heads and engine deck, then yes, it's most likely passing by the head gaskets. This is often called "wetting the block". Multifuels are known for doing this, lotsa folks drive deuces that are doing this, some even with brand-new, new-style head gaskets, and it's not necessarily a problem unless you're getting oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, or it's blowing compression to the atmosphere. Many people will not change head gaskets for merely wetting the block, so, it's up to you what you want to do.
As far as the oil consumption goes, 2 quarts doesn't seem like much, but more info than "8 months" would help... how many miles in that 8 mos? 300? 3,000?
As far as the smoke goes... first, do all the "tune-up" things you can do for the deuce... i.e. clean air and fuel filters, make sure your fuel is clean and you've got good delivery via the in-tank pump, and booster pumps, take the hose loose from the front of the turbo and make sure the compressor wheel doesn't have excessive side-to-side or front-to-back play, if you don't have an injector pop-tester, get one and make sure the injectors aren't leaking and are popping within the prescribed range, make sure the valves are all adjusted properly, put it under some extended load driving up long hills to help ensure the rings are seating well against the cylinder walls. Some or all of these things may or may not help with the smoke. If not, you've done about all you can without some level of tear-down... they smoke... when cold they don't have decent thermal/combustion efficiency, so they tend to give some "raw" smoke. When they're warm... they tend to smoke... just 'cause they're 50+ year-old technology.

Last edited:

beastm35

ok thanks ,ya eight months is about 200 miles its a daily driver but it not far to work.i was just checking ive done all filters air cleaner, and i just replace ip pump seal had fuel in oil now thats fixed no oil in antifreeze and no antifreeze in oil.i also made sure all bolts on valve covers are tight no leaks there seems to be right behind ip pump running down and back to bell housing.but just seepage.no leaking on ground there is no turbo so thats not it,im just pretty anle on my trucks im always doing something to keep it running right.

williamh

a quart every 100 miles !! thats quite a bit , i dont think i added 1 quart in 5000mi.

how hard was it to do the injection pump ? i got a truck that its not pumping at all , no fuel in oil just wont pump .. i got a spare pump but kind on nervous on replacing it .

beastm35

a quart every 100 miles !! thats quite a bit , i dont think i added 1 quart in 5000mi.

how hard was it to do the injection pump ? i got a truck that its not pumping at all , no fuel in oil just wont pump .. i got a spare pump but kind on nervous on replacing it .
well getting to the pump,i had to take out the steering colum which is 4 bolts down at steering box.then take off steering wheel then slide the colum up into the cabthen take the face plate off steering box so that makes room for ip pump disconnect all fuel line.then i was able to access the booter pump and replace the seal.if your doing the ip pump itself you have to match your timing marks first then in the front of truck at the ip pump theres a big nut you remove then slide the ip pump back. double check i may have missed a step or to but thats how they told me to do it. hope this helps.

beastm35

There are tons of places for oil to leak on the driver's side... valve covers, the oil filter base, the tappet cover, the oil cooler, etc. But, if the oil seepage is coming from between the heads and engine deck, then yes, it's most likely passing by the head gaskets. This is often called "wetting the block". Multifuels are known for doing this, lotsa folks drive deuces that are doing this, some even with brand-new, new-style head gaskets, and it's not necessarily a problem unless you're getting oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, or it's blowing compression to the atmosphere. Many people will not change head gaskets for merely wetting the block, so, it's up to you what you want to do.
As far as the oil consumption goes, 2 quarts doesn't seem like much, but more info than "8 months" would help... how many miles in that 8 mos? 300? 3,000?
As far as the smoke goes... first, do all the "tune-up" things you can do for the deuce... i.e. clean air and fuel filters, make sure your fuel is clean and you've got good delivery via the in-tank pump, and booster pumps, take the hose loose from the front of the turbo and make sure the compressor wheel doesn't have excessive side-to-side or front-to-back play, if you don't have an injector pop-tester, get one and make sure the injectors aren't leaking and are popping within the prescribed range, make sure the valves are all adjusted properly, put it under some extended load driving up long hills to help ensure the rings are seating well against the cylinder walls. Some or all of these things may or may not help with the smoke. If not, you've done about all you can without some level of tear-down... they smoke... when cold they don't have decent thermal/combustion efficiency, so they tend to give some "raw" smoke. When they're warm... they tend to smoke... just 'cause they're 50+ year-old technology.
sorry i repled to the wrong spot,yea about 200 miles on a quart,i already changed all filters no antifreeze in oil or oil in antifreeze everything is tight just that dam seepage near bell housing,i and that white smoke at startup then gos to black when running.and theres no turbo. thanks

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is NOT how many freakin miles to count for anything.
She is NOT a run of the mill commercial truck but a WAR tactile vehicle meant to do a job until she dies, meant to be used. If She gets caught She gets machine gunned and left there.
It IS the hours and minutes run up to proper operating temperatures when she works that matters.
Engines do "burn" lube oil depending on condition of myraid things and interfaces.
Golly, 25 miles a month. This is like killing aircraft that don't get used enough. They were designed and were built to RUN.
200 miles in eight months is like She didn't even get to do any work or get warmed up.
Drive Her, run Her, use Her.
Put two ton in the bed, fill it full of dirt if needed, and drive.
Check the lube oil crankcase level often.

davidb56

I burn/leak 2 quarts in about 4-500 miles I guess. The key is to keep the oil topped off, a eye on the EGT, and work the piss out of it. They don't make good "daily drivers" IMHO, Subaru's do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks