• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce plastic roof rop

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have this plastic M35 rooftop, I've never seen another like it and I can't find anything in the internet like it .

I used it for a moment until I got a metal one, it is quite sturdy, does anyone on here run one of these ?

I figure there might be someone on here that remembers when these things were sold new, I have no eye deer who made them .

20240107_163613.jpg20240107_163646.jpg20240107_163525.jpg

Last edited:

biscuitwhistler37

I have this plastic M35 rooftop, I've never seen another like it and I can't find anything in the internet like it .

I used it for a moment until I got a metal one, it is quite sturdy, does anyone on here run one of these ?

It appears to be ABS

I figure there might be someone on here that remembers when these things were sold new, I have no eye deer who made them .

View attachment 914334View attachment 914335View attachment 914336
You may want to hold on to that, it's either a one off that someone had made, or a pattern from one of the manufacturers. I got curious and searched the web too, found plans for a 3D printer, but no full size plastic tops.

biscuitwhistler37

Here is the only pic I could find of the top in action, I believe it has been molded which is quite the process, it's surprising I can't find any info on this .
I even asked Big Mike and he said he'd never seen one like it .

View attachment 914457
Chances are then that's a one off someone had done, or did as practice. It's awesome, looks pretty light too, in comparison.

HDN

I'd think there would be more of those around. That looks like it was molded somehow, so someone would've had to make tooling for it. Is it possible that the South Koreans are using plastic hard tops for their trucks?

One could make fiberglass tops. You'd have to make a mold big enough for one. I thought about making a mold to make my own fiberglass hood for my M35A3.

With a big enough printer, one could conceivably print a top out of ASA plastic. FDM 3D prints are notoriously not waterproof and will leak, and acetone vapor smoothing won't waterproof such prints. Instead, some kind of epoxy resin coating is used for waterproofing.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around 20 years ago, there were several manufacturers producing replacement hard tops for deuces/5-tons/M37s in fibreglass and/or plastic. I've seen several, but don't know any brand names.
At least one M37 brand included the windshield, split in the middle (and was pretty ugly!)

Edit - I seem to recall Memphis Equipment selling them? Or trucks modified with "aftermarket" hardtops?

Cheers

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have this plastic M35 rooftop, I've never seen another like it and I can't find anything in the internet like it
I had two of them... Both were moulded one-piece fiberglass units without rear window opening.. One was more rugged than the other.. One was on a 5-ton M51 and the other on a deuce, M49C.... Both of them were of different manufacture design and about 4 to 6 inches taller than yours all around, but still in military style .. Yours is a much-better look, is very close to ragtop height.. The height of the one on my M51 created a clearance issue with the cab protector (oh the irony :rolleyes:) .. It would smack the top of either rear corner of the "hardtop" when the dump box came down if truck was on uneven ground.. The one on the M49C had raised flat spots along the front edge for clearance lights and went higher than the one on the M51.. Looked like it would be a good style for a G749 (jimmy) truck ..

Sold one last year, and long-ago traded the M51 one for a brand new ragtop and hardware.. I spotted those "hardtops" on those two trucks in the early-1980's about 10 years before I bought the trucks.. An old friend of mine said he knew a surplus dealer (in NY, I have his name) had a bunch of these aftermarket ones for sale at one time, but that was his here-say , and at least 15 years ago0225131458 copy.jpeg20230303_114135 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This one is thick black plastic, not fiberglass .

I have seen many of the glass ones

I saved it for years cuz a buddy wanted it, but he sold his Deuce so it's mostly likely going to go DTR .

If I bought another Deuce it should have a metal roof (the one I'm eyeballing)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks