• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce PTO Update

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posted a tread on bits and pieces found in my tranny a while ago. Finally got warm and decided to get into the PTO on my deuce.

The following pics are of the PTO. It turns and spins freely, no grinding, weird sounds, etc.

I turned and felt the drive in the tranny and found only 1 gear that was rough, the rest of the gears felt fine.

1. Would it be worthwhile going into the tranny to change out the 'idler?' gear or should I just run it as is?

2. Can you change the gear out without having to yank the tranny?

3. It looks like only the input gear on PTO has 4 knackered teeth, would it ok to change just the gear?

4. Should I start looking for a PTO or a complete rebuild kit, or new (to me) PTO?

5. Which PTO do I have, just to make sure.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Attachments

tm america

Not sure who would have parts for the pto .Thats just a standard deuce pto. I would change the pto and if the counter shaft in the trans has any chipped or pitted teeth i would look into getting a trans to.. If you put a new pto on the trans and the trans has chipped teeth it will break them again..I would also look for the cause of the problem ..Was it improperly shimmed?Did they use a bolt instead of the shear pin on the winch or did the the the gears on the trans break first?

Billy Bobbed

Thats a tough call on the tranny,me I would not like to replace the tranny for a little ruff place.It just depends on how much you use the pto.But I would keep my eye open on a good tranny just in case.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on what you are calling "rough" on the trans gear. If it just has a little rough spot on it but the tooth is for the most part ok, you may be ok without tearing into the trans.

As said above, better find out what caused this before you put it back together. If the pto is shimmed wrong it tends to just wear out both gears all the way around. I guess it could have been shimmed out way too far and made the gear weak because of not enough contact. I'd suspect a overloaded winch caused this. Better check your shear pin.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many Thanks for the kickbacks!

When I picked up the truck, the winch was jammed tight. There was no shear pin, I wish there had been a piece left, so I could have seen what they were using. It looks like whomever used the winch last wrapped the chain and hook around the frame and let her go. I do not believe it was a case of not having the correct shims in place. The PTO took some 'nudging' to come loose as it looked like it was original equipment.

The rough spot in the tranny gear feels like sandpaper on one outter corner of the gear. The rest of the gear tooth, other side, and middle, feels fine.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started to take the PTO studs out of the transmission so I could bolt the cover plate of the PTO on and had no luck double nutting, etc.. I got to thinking, if I am going to rebuild the PTO and place it in the near future, why not leave the studs in and make a thicker cover. And, I really did not want 40 washers on the stock cover, as it is a deuce, vibrations, etc.

The following is a plate I made at a friends shop in about 20 minutes using the outside cover of the PTO as a template. I used a piece of 3/8" thick x 5" flatbar cut to 6 1/4" long and punched 3/8" holes. Reason for the big holes? Even though I had a template, I wanted to make sure the plate fit the first time and would not have to file the holes in one direction.

A little dab of silicone and all will be good!

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rough spot in the tranny gear feels like sandpaper on one outter corner of the gear. The rest of the gear tooth, other side, and middle, feels fine.
The trans may be ok then. A good close up pic would be good to look at to make sure.

At the very least I believe I'd pull to cover and wash the trans out really good with some sort of solvent. All those pieces of gear from the PTO are in that trans somewhere.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although I used a magnet to pull the pieces out the first time, I went ahead and flushed a gallon of diesel through it and let it sit for 4 hours to dry... After flushing it, I ran a rag on the inside (through PTO) and did not get anything at all. I also shot a magnet through the drain, moving it all around, nothing there either.

Placed the new cover plate and filled it up. I will drain and renew the lube in a couple of days.

Many Thanks M16ty

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you don't have a magnetic drain plug, get one, you should have them in everything anyway

David_Clements_4x4

Well this seems to be realy close to what i was looking for. Well i hate to admit it but i do have a grade 8 bolt in my winch but it dosnt seem to be a problem or dont think it will since im using 3/8 cable that might be rated for 5k, so roughly breaking strenght 6.5-7.5k, i break cable pretty easily if i dont use snach block.

Well now to my ideas since you seem to have broken your pto from overloading. Does anyone know the reccomended maximum torque you can apply to the pto output shaft before things start to come apart. My idea is to use a hydraulic pump that i can power off the transmission pto and switch to a hydraulic motor on the front winch and have the option to use it for other things, like extra winch in rear, or later on dump bed.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check here- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/7948-winch-shear-pins.html?highlight=winch+shear+pins . There's pretty much anything you want to know about winch torque and shear pins in this thread.

I will say that unless you are wanting to go with some sort of massive very high GPM pump, You won't have to worry about the PTO holding up. A transfer case PTO is also an option for powering a hyd pump. They can handle the full engine hp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks