• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce short air pack vent line question

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I've searched the forums and haven't found this answer. If I've missed it, point me in the right direction. If not, here goes...

I've never crawled under a Deuce except for mine, so I'm not sure what the proper vent line from the air pack looks like or where it runs. I'm assuming the line in these pics is the vent line. This is on a short style air pack. The line originated from the bottom outside of the air pack, runs up and across the frame, and then ends pretty much behind the battery box (see yellow arrows in pics).

About halfway across the cross member frame rail, there's some kind of box I'm not familiar with inserted in the line. The end of the line terminates is a fitting I've never seen. Granted, my knowledge of air lines is next to zero.

I read a lot on here about folks with air packs venting to the firewall behind the air box in the engine bay. This one doesn't. To me, it doesn't even look like this line is open for venting, but I don't know.

Don't know if it's supposed to look like this, or someone did a hack job separating the brake venting from the fuel venting at some time in the past. My master cylinder never had a vent line. Just a cap when I bought it. Since then, I've put a remote reservoir on it. But this air pack line, I'm not sure what's up. Hoping someone can offer some insight.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, I've searched the forums and haven't found this answer. If I've missed it, point me in the right direction. If not, here goes...

I've never crawled under a Deuce except for mine, so I'm not sure what the proper vent line from the air pack looks like or where it runs. I'm assuming the line in these pics is the vent line. This is on a short style air pack. The line originated from the bottom outside of the air pack, runs up and across the frame, and then ends pretty much behind the battery box (see yellow arrows in pics).

About halfway across the cross member frame rail, there's some kind of box I'm not familiar with. The end of the line terminates is a fitting I've never seen. Granted, my knowledge of air lines is next to zero.

I read a lot on here about folks with air packs venting to the firewall behind the air box in the engine bay. This one doesn't. To me, it doesn't even look like this line is open for venting, but I don't know.

Don't know if it's supposed to look like this, or someone did a hack job separating the brake venting from the fuel venting at some time in the past. My master cylinder never had a vent line. Just a cap when I bought it. Since then, I've put a remote reservoir on it. But this air pack line, I'm not sure what's up. Hoping someone can offer some insight.
Interesting that the line is terminated or pinched off. Seems like it would have been more trouble to do all that than disconnecting the line and moving on... The deuces that we built to work in the swamps had that line vented up the back of the cab. That way, if your head is under water the brake booster and you have the same "breathing" problem. I can't seem to locate a picture of it, but there was a breather valve bolted to the cab that kept out the bugs (dirt daubers).

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I wrong that having the line pinched off would keep the air pack from working properly? Wondering if I need to rebuild this line completely...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Am I wrong that having the line pinched off would keep the air pack from working properly? Wondering if I need to rebuild this line completely...
Well... That was my logic as I thought more about the post I just made. BUT it was working - right? Do you suppose somebody has "rigged" in is some other form or fashion? Disconnecting what you have now - or verifying that air is coming out of the hose would definitely be nice to know. Hose could be stopped up too...

JUST GUESSING but so far as I know that should be a way to vent that connection.

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was "working." When I brought the truck home it had soft brakes. I just ripped out all the old brake lines, built new ones, rebuilt the master cylinder and air pack and all the wheel cylinders. That's when I first noticed the line in question.

Batteries are out of the truck right now while doing some wiring work. I'll have to piece some things back together and see if I get any venting. It doesn't look possible, but it seemed to work before hand as best I could tell. I mean, it did stop and I think the soft brakes were due to all 6 wheel cylinders leaking.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic #2 believe was the master vent to the brass block and the main line was for fuel tank vent. It goes to the road draft tube. Work order was to remove the master vent to draft tube / tank vent line. That way no diesel fumes / or fuel could into the master cylinder. The other pics of air pack yea should be open and been so long I forget where the end of the vent tube went. Sure someone will remember. Work order for master cylinder was reroute it from filler cap going forward to up engine fire wall making U up close to hood then back down a short way. The end had one of the axle type one way vents for fording.

Last edited:

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @Floridianson , that makes sense after crawling back under there and looking. I assume someone did the disconnect and sealed the lines.

Don't know why they would close off the air pack vent line though 🤔. I have the remote reservoir for the master cylinder, so no vent line there. Sounds like the smart thing would be o.enitg the air pack vent line and running it on up the firewall.

Any idea if it sould it have a U in it like the master cylinder vent was supposed to? I've never seen what one "should" look like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks