• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce starter removal?????????

EZFEED

Hey guys, tommorrow I'm gonna head out to my place and pull the starter on my M-35. Can someone give me a heads up on what tools I will need to get it off the bellhousing/side of engine/wherever.

I'd like specific wrech sizes, other tools that aid/are necessary, etc.

I'd really apprceiate this if y'all can help! It would save me from having to pack everything I own out there.

Thanks!
Pat

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They are heavy as can be, but no different than say a big block Chrysler. Just HEAVY.

Deuceswild

Deuce Starter Removal

EZFEED,

Hang tight for a few minutes, I'll go out and find out what tools you'll need, My Deuce is only about 25" from my current location :) .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, they're quite heavy for sure but the line up without effort. You don't have to hold it up and line up, slide it on the studs and bolt it up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Deuce starter removal?????????

AW, c'mon guys, give him the right answer.................A crane! No, The one on mine has 2 studs that use a 7/8 wrench for the two nuts, and the inside one is a 12 pt, 5/8 head, bolt. Careful, those bad boys are HEAVY! BTW, can anyone tell me how mant teeth are on the bendix??

Deuceswild

EZFEED,

I just went out to verify and you WILL need a 3/8", 3/4", and a 7/8" to free the solenoid cables and a 15/16" to remove the starter nuts.

A combination wrench will work best for the process.

EZFEED

RE: Re: RE: Deuce starter removal?????????

Sweet! So there are studs and not bolts! Thank God!!!! (I can be joyfull about this right? :) )

So 7/8 wrench and 12pt 5/8" wrench.

Good deal, I'll pacjk them. How about socket wrench clearance? Can I use a socket or is this a standard wrench only thing? Do I need a U-joint?

Man I sure appreciate it guys, I have my puppy parked in a spot that is not close to my shop and at the moment she's not running. I havent moved into my new place yet and I live 33 miles from my current house so this will save me from waasting a day.

Boy it'd be cool if we could make a page of Deuce tools. Something like a master tool list that would detail tools required for the transmission, engine, axles, etc and then a complete tool list required for full mechanic work. Is there a TM for this already?

EZFEED

Deuceswild said:
EZFEED,

I just went out to verify and you WILL need a 3/8", 3/4", and a 7/8" to free the solenoid cables and a 15/16" to remove the starter nuts.

A combination wrench will work best for the process.
Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very much!!!! 8)

acetomatoco

The old adage, RYFM came into play again... (Read your factory manuals) Common hand tools are usually all that is needed to repair most stuff on MV. Carrying a basic mechanic's tool set should be a matter of everyday life for a MV owner... Don't replace the starter until you have checked the relay on the side of the block...and whacked the starter a few times with a hammer (soldier #2) while pushing the start button... ACE

nickd

Most times a set of combination wrenches up to 1-1/2" and a full set of 1/2" sockets deep and standard, a pair of 10" adjustable wrenches, screw drivers, a hammer, chisel, wire cutters, pliars, pry bar, the issue lug wrench and bar will get out of most trouble on the road and in this case remove your starter. I carry a 10 ton hydraulic jack and a few other specialty tools with me on the truck at all times. did I for get to mention anything guys?

vbrescueman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce starter removal?????????

That starter weighs a dang ton...specially when its fallin on you. will post pics of what can happen if you fall off the cowling and the starter falls on top of you...big ouch. Went to the Dr. 3 days later because I couldn't breathe (very well... :cry: ) I told the doc what happened and showed him my ribs- only a small ring from where the pinion gear hit my ribs. He saw my leg and asked how that had happened... :shock: I told him that damage was caused AFTER my ribs slowed down the starter.. :roll: .he sent me up for xrays- at least 3 broken ribs. Goog to go now- just a scar and a story on how NOT to climb on top of a 5G bucket to get on the cowling---DUH! aua
Doc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks