• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce transmission woes

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started working on the 2nd of my two newly aquired dueces this past weekend and found out that it won't shift into reverse or first; like it's locked out. The stick comes over against the spring pressure but I can't get it to move forward or backwards into either gear. The others are fine. Any ideas anyone? Thanks ahead of time.

stumps

Every M35A2 has a rod that comes out of the back of the transmission. Back in the early days, that rod was used in the sprag transfer case to set the correct direction for travel. Its purpose kind of faded when the M35A2's were all converted from sprag transfer cases to the air shift style.

The unfortunate part is this shaft is sticking out of the back of the transmission, and has no protection from the elements. If it is all rusted up, it could be stuck preventing the transmission from shifting in the first-neutral-reverse gate.

-Chuck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, that's kind of what I was thinking.

The rod could be bent or (if it still has a sprag case) there could be a problem with the t-case or linkage between it and the trans.

Crazyguyla

I had the same problem with my deuce not shifting. I took off the top cover and found the gear the gear was seazed.. used liberal penetrator spray and a mallet to free the gear. Oil might be contaminated too.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info and I'll look at it this evening. The truck had been sitting for a long time and could have some corrosion quite easily. It sure started without any effort to my surprise and runs like a top.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks