• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winch on 5 ton?

cbvet

Well, I finally got all the parts to put the winch on my M35A2.
But now I want a winch on the "new" M813A1. I can't afford another winch right now, so I'm wondering about putting the Deuce winch on the 5 ton.
Anyone done it?
I wonder if the only difference might be the length of the driveshaft?
Eric
CBVET

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Aren't the Deuce and 5 ton winch driveshafts on different sides?

jwaller

deuce winch on a 5T... hum.. a winch thats way too small for a deuce and you want to put it on a truck that could weight um twice what a deuce weights. not a good idea. find a 5T winch and do it right.

cbvet

I don't know much about winches. The only time I ever used one in 'Nam, it was on a D7 Cat. Very impressive to a 19 year old kid.
Why do you say the Deuce winch is too small? I figure as long as it will pull its own weight, it's big enough.
I understand that a bigger heavier truck should ideally have a heavier winch, but isn't darn near any winch better than nothing?
Waiting to be enlightened................
Eric
CBVET

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well the deuce winch is rated at 10k. I know the military under-rates the equipment, but a deuce winch on a 5ton is a pretty big gamble.

cbvet

Another reason I thought of for putting the Deuce winch on the 5 ton, is the power steering. I've read that adding a winch to a Deuce makes it steer even harder.
Heck, I probably won't get around to putting the winch on ANYTHING for quite a while, but I still
like the idea of a winch on everything.
Of course I still prefer the M14 rifle, too.
Eric
CBVET

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I looked for the site I found a while ago. Wish I could have found it. Any way it told you how to calculate what weight your winch would see at different angles of pull and when axles were sunk. A good basic winch should be rated 1.75 times the standard vehicle weight.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
haha!!

CB, I have driven Deuces with and without winches and I can't tell 'em apart by the steering.

jwaller

clinto said:
haha!!

CB, I have driven Deuces with and without winches and I can't tell 'em apart by the steering.
same here. my deuce didnt have a winch when I got it. I added the winch and I didnt notice much of a difference. if you do just up the front tire pressure some and your golden.

spicergear

Like I posted in the 5 ton winch on deuce post...the worm gear can be pulled out and the four bolt bearing plates can be swapped front to rear (along with flipping the worm gear 180*) that way you could have the drive down the passenger side. You could probably mount it just a tad low of center on the frame mounts and catch the four upper bolts per side (of the six) then the drive would be at about the same location too. It'll mount EASY on modified 5 ton winch mounts or slice up some large channel or offset angle. Oh, and as far as capacity...aside from most people being in agreement with the winches being under-rated (I'm not opening THAT can of worms...today anyway...) carry a snatch block or two if it's a real concern and you'll be set! I concurr, deuce winch is better than no winch.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I still say you should wait and get the right one, if for no other reason that a 5 ton winch can have the load leveler/winding mechanism....which the Deuce winch has no provision for.

BEASTMASTER

a deuce weighs apprx. 12000 lds.thats why they put a 10000 ld winch on them.
a 5 ton goes at least 22000 lds . you wanna tyr pulling one with a 10000 ld winch,???? good bye winch and mabey trans. aua

spicergear

I found this looking for actual dead pull weights on recovery pulls. This is why I feel strongly that deuce winch is better than no winch AND why it stands a chance of living a long happy live on the nose of a five ton truck. AND, again, if there's anything questionable, throw in a snatch block and you're over 20,000, another should double that in theory. If the winch is available slap it on. Remember this is pulling NOT overhead lifting where the weight IS what it IS. A 5 ton truck doesn't weigh 22,000 lbs until it's got the axles in the goo.

The effort required to free a stuck vehicle depends on:

· Weight of the stuck vehicle,

· Type of material (mire) in which the vehicle is stuck,

· Depth to which the vehicle is mired,

· Slope up which the vehicle must be winched.

The following are approximate “mire” resistance values for different materials when the vehicle is only shallowly stuck and not grounded:

· Hard surface = 4 percent total vehicle weight

· Grass = 15 percent total vehicle weight

· Gravel = 20 percent total vehicle weight

· Dry Sand = 25 percent total vehicle weight

· Clay Mud = 50 percent total vehicle weight

The following depth resistance will be encountered, regardless of type material, by a vehicle buried to:

· Wheel hubs (axles) = 100 percent total vehicle weight

· Top of the tires = 200 percent total vehicle weight

· Hood = 300 percent total vehicle weight

It is the steepness, and not the length of the slope up which the vehicle must be winched, that matters. Keep in mind that if the vehicle’s wheels have to climb out of a hole, or over a rock or log, the slope of these gradients can be very high, even 90 degrees.

· Add 10 percent of the total vehicle weight for every five degrees of inclination for slopes up to 50 degrees. For slopes greater than 50 degrees, just add the total vehicle weight.

In addition, whenever we use snatch blocks in a winching operation, we must take into account the resistance they add (because of friction) to the load.

· Add 10 percent of the load resistance for every block used.

So a vehicle weighing 5,800 pounds stuck in 6 inches of mud on a 20-degree slope would require:

· 50% x 5,800 (mire resistance) + 40% x 5,800 (grade resistance) = 5,220 lb.

Available Effort

An often overlooked fact is that a winch’s greatest pulling force, its rated capacity, is only available when the rope is pulling from the layer directly on the drum. As shown below, the pulling force decreases significantly with each successive layer.

· Drum Layer = 100 percent of rated capacity

· 2nd Layer = 85 percent of rated capacity

· 3rd Layer = 72 percent of rated capacity

· 4th Layer = 62 percent of rated capacity

· 5th Layer = 53 percent of rated capacity

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks