• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces fixed And a B I G thank you!

dmetalmiki

......four years of, change this that n't t'other bleed, pump, kick, swear!, tweek, filter changes, test, re-pipe....and more...
So...,
Last Saturday I told the guys I was (Finaly going to replace the Hydraulic Heads on two non running deuces.
"You need a hand?"...Definately sez I.., Would you (All) just lift the bonnet (Hood) for me please?... (And) Yell when you see a red mark appear,
"Oh Oh".." here he goes again"...(They have a stop watch...)
Loosen injector pipes at the injectors and remove all clamping.
remove injector pipes from the Hydraulic Head,
Disconnect fuel flow piping.
Remove fuel control cover and throttle control parts,
zip off the the four retaing nuts and spacers.
'pop' under the truck and turn the engine via the propshaft,
"STOP". ..., (Yell).."Bit More".. OK! "bang on",
Back to the Hydraulic Head, Lift, And it comes right out.
"F.........'Eck"..comes a retort..48 & a 1/2 minutes! "OKPass me the new Unit please".....
refite in the exact reverse order.
"WOW!".....51 & a 1/2 minutes,
Jump in the truck (There are TWO CO2 fire extinguishers at the ready!),
Let the in tank pump run for 1 minute..,
Run the Engine Pre Heater for 15 seconds.,Wait.
Hit the Engine Pre Heater for 3 seconds, Then,
Push the starter Button with the pre heater running, For 3 seconds.
Repeat,..
The truck fired right up, Ran great!.
Runs and drives great.

So, A big, B I G Thank you to USAFSS-ColdWarrior for supplying us with Three Hydraulic Heads Copmplete with the Buttons and clips.

Just a hint for others doing this.

( I allways ), REMOVE the CLIP. (And), Bend the tangs SLIGHTLY inwards so that they Grab the assembly tighter.

The other Deuce was done in the same manner,..In, 48 Minutes, Including a Cuppa'.

Just the M54A2 Camper to do...It is dissmantled in just the same order, (And Is)... Just waitng for some more seals for the Head to arrive. :jumpin:

Beeerz' Time.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

When I do this job with assistance, (Which is rare as our group are mostly old infirm and or unfit..(Me?..Just Old!, And VERY fortunate not to be unfit or infirm!)).

I have the assistant turn the propshaft and do NOT check the timing anywhere, I simply pull the Hydraulic head free and out when it 'Feels' like coming out.

(""(I Shout stop to the assistant and then pull it free. (as), you CAN 'Feel' when it's about right to pull the hydraulic head free and out.""))
You do sometimes have to wiggle the head OR the prop, But it will come out.

Replace the unit WITHOUT (Checking) or disturbing anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks