• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces in the Bay State area?

SandMan

Still in the research phase, but seriously considering springing for one as a running, self-educational project - (just out of college and currently unemployed) mechanical engineer desk-jockey by trade, amateur grease monkey by habit. I've fixed clocks and radios, worked on some small engines and old cars, done some redneck engineering with nothing but rebar, leaf springs and a welder, and I think I owe it to myself to graduate to bigger toys. Think I'm up for a Deuce?

I'm in the Boston, MA area and the only nearby places I know of (that stock deuces of course) are Eastern Surplus and Coleman's Military Surplus, both of which are about 7-10 hours drive. If anyone knows of a closer place or anyone is selling in the area let me know.

Been gradually compiling a (rather short) list of requirements in my head:
-six wheels (all of them!)
-winch (if nothing else to intimidate the shit out of the yuppies that take their beemers oversand on the islands)
-legally drivable (I need to get it home and don't want to pay for transport or fines)
-intact bed (gonna be hauling some junk around)

and a list of nice to have, but not necessary:
-multifuel turbo (suppose I could always convert it back from diesel only if necessary, have plans for the multifuel bit)
-airshift (eh, why not)
-little or no rust-through on most of the body panels (in it for the mechanical stuff, not the cosmetics)
-low-ish mileage (is this important, or are these things tougher than rock?)
-heated cab (New England winters can be rough, though I have been known to walk around in a tshirt in sub-zero weather...)

anything I should add or subtract?

I'm new to diesel (and pretty much the real world too...) so go easy on me if I have stupid questions. back to browsing the forums...

Massm35a2

Welcome to steel soldiers. I love having a deuce. I ended up going all the way to KS to get it. Has everything I want. it even has the winch from a 5 ton, people move out of the way when they see me coming :)

Good luck on your deuce search.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You definitely want an air shift, but it isn't like you can't put an air-shift in if you find a clean truck equipped with te sprag style transfer.

Cab heaters can be easily added, for a few hundred bucks, less if you are a talented horse trader.

Buy a mechanically solid, rust free truck....the accessories and such are easily added.

acetomatoco

Yup, too bad Devens is closed as there were several nice dealers in MA and southern NH... You can go to Schotts in Lewiston ME.. or Plattsburgh NY Diesel or VTCSM37 in Vt. Lots of nice Deuces sold by Gov Liq from RI...etc

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The milage/hour issue has been the root for some debates. Those gauges only take 5 or 6 min to swap out. I wouldn't put much faith in them.

SandMan

thanks everyone. I take it if I browse through the technical manuals section I'll find more info on the M35 that I could ever need? is there any way to search the manuals section?

M1075

A great way to get a deuce is to get one of the members here to help you find one and help look it over. Just about everyone is willing (and would like) to help a new member get started in the hobby. It is common for a member to even help tow a deuce home so you can properly service it and become familiar with it prior to any road adventure.

acetomatoco

Go see Phil Romano in East Boston, he has 7 deuces and a coupla 5 tons and a wrecker and plows snow with them for MA State... Look him up under Philip Romano Inc.... and buy the manuals from Portrayal Press...

SandMan

acetomatoco said:
Go see Phil Romano in East Boston, he has 7 deuces and a coupla 5 tons and a wrecker and plows snow with them for MA State... Look him up under Philip Romano Inc.... and buy the manuals from Portrayal Press...
just a cursory search leads me to believe that there are a lot of Phil Romanos in the Boston area...and if I could find him, would he be willing to sell his plow trucks (for a price that I can afford)? truthfully, though, I couldn't complain if I got something plow-ready - have a 200 foot long driveway that's hell in winter. If you could find his number for me I'd give him a call.

houdel

Being a former MA resident, now living in MI for many years, I have a fair amount of experience in cold, snowy weather. A cab heater is a real requirement, a hard top nearly so. There is too much air leakage in the soft top to give the heater a fair chance in cold weather! For practical use in the north, I'd pick a hard top over a winch.

As for buying a truck, there must be many 1000s of them in private hands in the New England/New York area, with 100s up for sale at any given time. I'd hook up with the military vehicle clubs in the area, chances are someone has YOUR truck for sale at an affordable price. I'd expect to pay ~$4000 through a private party for a truck you'd pay ~$6000 for at a dealer. Subscribe to MV magazine, find the websites for state affiliates in the New England/New York area, go to MV events, and you'll find a truck you can drive home at a price you can afford.

You can also try GL sales in RI and Camp/Fort Drum in NY, whatever it is called today. But keep in mind a GL truck will probably have to be hauled home and need some work to get roadworthy. Factor those costs against a private sale for a truck you can drive home; unless you get a great deal on a GL truck, the private sale will probably be cheaper. Better to pay $4000-$4500 on a truck you can drive home than pay $2500 to GL, $2000 to have it hauled home, and your time and more money to get it running and roadworthy.

With that said, I did buy my truck from GL for $2485 ($2733.50 with GL's premium added) and drove it 235 miles home (on Government fuel, it had a full tank of diesel when I picked it up), BUT I had an on-post mechanic check it out and declare it running and roadworthy before I went to get it!

moreorles2

Sandman- Gov Liquidation has a nice looking deuce with a winch and a hardtop up for auction just outside of Burlington, VT. Might be worth a roadtrip to examine it before you bid on it. Beautiful ride home on I89.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=USVT&Ntk=P_Auction_Country_State&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&location=US_VT&cmd=keyword

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks