• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did a little hauling EGT Results

Monty

Wait a minute, first you need to tell me/us more about your rig. It looks great!

Do you have an idea of what it weigh's( Tractor/Trailer)
and I'll second the question on driving conditions.

jwaller

1200deg was 1700-2100 rpms long hard uphill pulls 3rd,4th and 5th gears and I haven't yet touched the pump. I was hoping to turn it up some but it looks like I haven't any room to turn.

eng was running about 180deg OAT was 73 and a lsight wind.

I am going to guess the rig weights about (trailer+load+truck) 17500+7000+20500=45,000lbs

I had 9' behind the last truck for another small car but my bettle just wouldnt quite fit.

I do have fully operational tralier and truck brakes.(that was pricy)!!!

Tires are 1600's on 5T combat rims.

edited for correctness.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
man that rig is nice. wait till wreckerman sees that set up, you already have him looking for a tractor. so now he will be looking for a trailer like yours. and i quess you should go ahead and tell him not for sale LOL Tim

rmgill

Wow. That is EXACTLY what my WWII Group needs 3 of for moving our armored cars around. What'd the trailer cost you and what's the make?

jwaller

Re: RE: Did a little hauling EGT Results

rmgill said:
Wow. That is EXACTLY what my WWII Group needs 3 of for moving our armored cars around. What'd the trailer cost you and what's the make?
it's the one I was telling you about on the thread you started. It's a M270A1. 40' deck. I uploaded all the TM's for it to the site. I spent 3500 for the tralier. 500 to fix the brakes and 1k to replace the floor with pressure treated wood.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Did a little hauling EGT Results

And your neighbors thought the Deuce was a sight to behold rofl

I'd pay $100 to be a fly on the wall when you pulled up with that

Knucklehead

180 is cool for a diesel and I don't feel that 1200 on the pyro is alarming either. My new Mack Granite will get up to 1400 on a long hard pull grossed at 70k, still in the green on the pyro. If you are concerned about the temp check the coolant with a mechanical thermometer, the coolant and not the radiator to obtain a true reading. The omly problem that I feel you have is with the larger tires. The truck was designed to run 1100x20 tires and the big skins have affected the powerband by numerically raising the axle ratio. Remember these trucks are really a trade off, built to run at 45-50 on the street while having the ability to traverse rough terrain. Even though the first 5T had 1400x20 singles it was gasoline powered and had a wider powerband.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Great looking rig. Would it be possible to build a ramp up to the area above the fifth wheel for the beetle to fit? I know my M52 worked a lot harder pulling the M127 home than it did bobtailing and it seemed to me the highway speeds were the achillies heel of the tactical tractor. I know it likes to haul it around the driveway with no isses but out on the expressway it got hot and bothered.

OD_Coyote

Re: RE: Re: RE: Did a little hauling EGT Results

kcimb said:
I want a tractor now..IMP has one for 4500$ in running shape but needing work.
I saw that rig on the IMP site too and thought that would be a nice replacement for my deuce...There was also one with a nice paint job at IMP for $12,500....way out of my league.

jwaller

cranetruck said:
The 818 is more like 20,000 lb.
your right 260-20 shows 20,100 plus level wind plus ring mount It should have been 20,500. I was guessing cause I didnt have the time to go and look it up.

I wish I knew what the differance in the weight of the tires is. the 1600's are 350lbs each plus about 85 per wheel. I dont know what a 5T wheel and tire weights.

jwaller

Knucklehead said:
180 is cool for a diesel and I don't feel that 1200 on the pyro is alarming either. My new Mack Granite will get up to 1400 on a long hard pull grossed at 70k, still in the green on the pyro. If you are concerned about the temp check the coolant with a mechanical thermometer, the coolant and not the radiator to obtain a true reading. The omly problem that I feel you have is with the larger tires. The truck was designed to run 1100x20 tires and the big skins have affected the powerband by numerically raising the axle ratio. Remember these trucks are really a trade off, built to run at 45-50 on the street while having the ability to traverse rough terrain. Even though the first 5T had 1400x20 singles it was gasoline powered and had a wider powerband.
I have been told by the guys here that know this motor that 1200 is the magic number you want to stay under. these do not have piston oilers like all the new turbo diesels.

rizzo

jwaller said:
cranetruck said:
The 818 is more like 20,000 lb.
your right 260-20 shows 20,100 plus level wind plus ring mount It should have been 20,500. I was guessing cause I didnt have the time to go and look it up.

I wish I knew what the differance in the weight of the tires is. the 1600's are 350lbs each plus about 85 per wheel. I dont know what a 5T wheel and tire weights.
the hemmt wheels I have are 150 pounds

Monty

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Did a little hauling EGT Results

So what speeds were you pushing? I guess I'm also wonder If the switch to the singles is causing the engine to work harder.
Again I have to comened you on a great looking rig!

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Did a little hauling EGT Results

I can push 65 on flat level ground but ANY type of hill and I just mean a slight incline the speed goes way down and a good hill I'm down to 40-45mph.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks