• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different (smaller) glow plug Board on my M1008..!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever seen a small board like this one in a M1008?. Its smaller than my M1009's. The one on the right is from a M1009 the left one is the one out of my1986 M1008... The reason im asking is I think I need to replace it. Other members have told me they have never seen a smaller card in a M1008..
My truck came without a resistor thingy on the firewall for the glow plugs. I ran a wire from the top of my GP relay to the white terminal block at 24volts. The truck started great for about 12 starts, guess i burned out the GP with 24 volts. So...
I replaced the glow plugs, ran the wire from the bock, to the front battary for 12 volts. Now, when I start the truck the GP relay/synolide never turns off. the lower small wire always has 12 volts when i turn the key on. I had to replace the relay with a ford one because it was not working with 12 volts. This is why I think I burned out the small board too. Now I have to unhook the lower wire from the relay after i start the truck. The "wait" light in the dash goes out after a while, like it should, but the 12 volts do not turn off to the relay. Therefore 12 volts to the GP all the time. Also where can I get a board like this?...If worse comes to Worse I will try and find another GP firewall resistor thingy and switch it back to 24v...Kevin...

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

nice looking truck, yes you prolly burned out the GP card. I would wire the gp's up to be on a manual button, unless you want it to be original. you can purchase the gp cards. I have seen them on ebay every once in awhile, they usually go for around $70.

Armada

I've never had a cucv with the large card in it. Nice looking truck. I like to keep the system original because it works well, but that's just me. I see you are missing the resistor pack on the firewall behind the engine. That is what steps down the 24v's for the glow plug relay.

gt1009

I would have to agree with CCATLETT1984, I like my new glow plug switch much better than the origional way, lets you start much better in the cold and lets you not use your plugs if your engine is warm already.

mangus580

A proper working system will always work better than a push button. The plugs should not run when the engine is hot, if they are working right. If they do run, they are needed.

rizzo

I like the stock system, but I am going to add a manual switch one of these days so that I can get them to work if something breaks.

Michael

Are you sure you haven't found the resister board or the tach buffer board for the diagnostic circuit? I seem to remember finding one of each in my M1010 a couple of years ago.

CCATLETT1984

i just realised, yup the smaller card is not a gp card. my truck has both as well.

thats not the correct location for the gp card to be, should be to the left of the gas pedal when looking in from the drivers side of the truck.

sorry for not catching it sooner.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Small board not a glow plug board?

I looked and that is the only board I have in my truck.
I had a M1028 and I presently have a M1009 and I know where the boards are located. This truck does not have the wiring or the board. I looked twice..Maybe I have a rare expertimental one..!!..
Cevon...

Michael

RE: Small board not a glow plug board?

I think that new cards come with new wiring harness also. At least I think I have seen that on ebay, but I could be wrong, I wasn't paying to much attention. Looks like a good candidate for a manual switch. I seem to also remember those new cards going for big bucks.

surpdlr

decodeme2 said:
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever seen a small board like this one in a M1008?. Its smaller than my M1009's. The one on the right is from a M1009 the left one is the one out of my1986 M1008... The reason im asking is I think I need to replace it. Other members have told me they have never seen a smaller card in a M1008..Kevin...

The card on the left is PN# 83476-1000 in your 34P manual. It is listed as Module, Indicator, Cooling. It is located near the STE-ICE plug towards the center of the dash, in a black plastic housing with cover normally, and is usually taped to the STE-ICE harness. From all I know it has nothing to do with the Glow Plug system.

The card on the right is the Glow plug module, or Glow card as it is known. They are normally looped, or shoved up some where over the steering column and live in a black plastic housing with or with out a cover. It has been so long since I saw one in the factory position I can’t even remember where it should be.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
surpdlr said:
It has been so long since I saw one in the factory position I can’t even remember where it should be.
Isn't that the truth. I was just reminded where it should be when looking at BKubu's new M1028, which still had it in the factory location. Thinking back, my old M1028A3 had it in the factory location, too.

The little tits on the GP housing should be stuck through a hole in the sheetmetal that forms the driver's side steering column support. It's the only small hole there. It's maybe 6" off the firewall? Figure 67 in the 34P shows it pretty accurately. You just need to contort yourself under the dash to actually see the hole...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks