• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dimensions and clearances for a M900 spare tire carrier for 11r20 tire Please

gentrysgarage

HiYa Guys,
I am at the point of needing to place and design a bed for my M135 project, I am in need of some help.

I am wanting to put a early M900 series with the 11R20s spare tire carrier and davit on my M135. It seems all the 75-100.00 set ups are back east, shipping is an issue, and as I have plans to change the davit to a custom swiveling material handling crane utilizing (tentatively) Dually Dana 70 axle tubes, why not make my own setup. As I like to cheat off well paid engineer's designs and why re-invent the wheel I could use some dimensions.
I am looking for the A, B and C measurements of the attacted page as well as the thickness of the angle iron. and the overhang of the assembly over the frame rails. Another measurement is the clearance to the closest obstruction to the spare tire carrier assemble and the bed/cab and your best suggestion as to a minimum clearance.

Thanks in Advance!

Spare tire carrier n.jpg

sandcobra164

If you were closer, shipping wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a 75 dollar one, mine would be free to good home. It currently has a 14R20 tucked in behind the cab but I've gathered the correct parts to make my truck a little closer to an A1. I will say this, the pole flexed quite a bit loading the tire and rim combination up. So much that I ran a ratchet strap from the top to the passenger side of the bed to provide a little stability.

gentrysgarage

Thanks guys

Look at the pics on page 3:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?34231-Head-board-crane/page3&highlight=crane

In the pic of post #60, you can see the 2klbs winch I put on it. I don't know the weight of an mep002, but I've lifted one in the bed with the crane.
Thanks for the link, I am reading the whole thread!

A: 12-3/4" to the outside
B: 2-1/2"
C: 2-1/2"

The angle iron used is 1/4" thick.

Thanks Swamp Donkey pretty simple, any suggested minimum clearance?

If you were closer, shipping wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a 75 dollar one, mine would be free to good home. It currently has a 14R20 tucked in behind the cab but I've gathered the correct parts to make my truck a little closer to an A1. I will say this, the pole flexed quite a bit loading the tire and rim combination up. So much that I ran a ratchet strap from the top to the passenger side of the bed to provide a little stability.
Dang what a great offer! even at free I can't afford the shipping....:(:(:-(

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If its not obvious in my pics, I have mine tied in to as much of the bed as possible. I can get more pics of the mounting if it would help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

gentrysgarage

If its not obvious in my pics, I have mine tied in to as much of the bed as possible. I can get more pics of the mounting if it would help.
According to Porky that's a lot of weight! I will be making it part of the spare tire carrier assembly (my bed can only be 8' 15 63/64" long MAX to be "compliant" so I won't be mounting inside the bed and take up any of the precious square inches I have left) so the extra pics would not do me any good but thanks for the offer. It also seems my 4 inch X 1/2" wall axle tube might, just might, be a LITTLE overkill.......:lol:

The minimum clearance on the inside of the vertical sides is 12-1/4".
Thanks Swamp Donkey I am off to the drawing board!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks