• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disabled SS Veterans

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I came across these two on a Christmas day trip to Jamestown,Tn. :shock:
It looks like they could have been used in the logging business.
I thought the rim might be of interest, not one I have seen. :idea:
An ignoble end to heavy green metal. :cry:
If anyone is interested in a rescue mission PM me and I'll give details.

Attachments

deuceman51

What the heck did they do to those poor M211s? I'm still trying to figure out what the first one was made into? Kinda looks like something off of a MAD MAX film. I would love to have the combat rims, but Alabama is a bit too far for me to go.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These poor metal souls are located near Crossville in central Tennessee (on the Cumberland Plateau).
I pass them when I go to visit my Mom in Jamestown.
I lived up there in 1984 and there is a lot of logging and stone harvesting and cutting in the area. My guess it that they were used in one of those endeavors.
The next time I go by I may stop and ask about them. Maybe the owner would have pity on them and donate them to a good home at Wreckerman's Home for Aged Green Iron.
It is a pity to see them in that shape.
I do know where there are two more near there that were fire trucks and are in much better shape. They are located south of Crossville on highway 127.
I'll checkl into them and get some pics if I go by in daylight.

rdixiemiller

The first one is a home made skidder, the second is a pulpwood truck. Common mods, although I'm more used to seeing that done with old civvy trucks or school buses. I guess they used whatever trucks were available cheaply.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would definitely rather see a bus hacked to bits, but like you said RDM, whatever can be found cheaply and modified cheaply.

FrankUSMC

The Owner of White Owl parts company told me that his Dad would also make log skidders out of DUKWs. He said they would cut the bodies off and cut the frames. They had lots of DUKWs back then. Also, years ago, I wrote a story For the MVPA about a farm I went to and in the woods were the remains of some DUKWs. One was not touched, but the others were being up and made into skidders.....then they just walked away from them. The whole area was grown over with big trees.
One of the few, Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks