• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

distributor firing order

usmc81301

As long as the firing order is correct does it matter which plug the wire from the distributor goes to? Also, is there an easy way to test the starter solenoid switch? The starter?

Last edited:

Jones

First of all, what are you working on?
It makes life easier if the plug wires in the cap go to the correct plugs. Otherwise, come tune-up time, you'll never get the timing marks to line up.

Jones

If I recall from my Jeep days; the distributor shares the shaft that drives the oil pump and I seem to think that the slot is offset to prevent the distributor from being installed 180 degrees out. If I'm right so far then it wouldn't run at all if the plug wires weren't on the correct plugs.

Starter not cranking problems-- assuming you've got voltage to everything that needs it;
If you can get to the back side of the starter switch then bridging the terminals should make it crank over. If it does then any starter inop problems may be that switch. Next, if jumpering the starter solenoid spins the engine then check out the solenoid. If jumpering the solenoid does not help then the starter motor may need to be rebuilt or, if you're lucky, just a set of brushes.

Beacher425

The M38a1 starter is foot plunger operated. the floorboard foot plunger pushes a lever on the starter motor assembly. This lever does 2 things; it pushes the toothed portion of the starter shaft into the bell housing to engage the teeth of the flywheel assembly to turn the engine, and it depresses a plunger on the starter motor switch to turn the starter. I don't think that jumping the starter switch will do anything but spin the starter. A stock M38a1 does not have a starter solenoid.

Highly recommend the manuals for setting timing, and for anything else for that matter. They are free to download from willysmjeeps.com or you can buy a set which will have easier to see pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks