• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY shelter on deuce

Hi,

I stumbled upon an ebay auction where a deuce is sold with a home made shelterbox and thought that might be of interest here. Looks lightweight but sturdy enough, because it apparently uses the stock bed as basis. From the looks its like some eastern-block shelters I have seen on russian or east-german trucks with the slanted top sides. See attached pictures. I post the pictures seperatly here because the ebay-source is lost after a few weeks.
Also note the wheels.
Link to the auction is

http://cgi.ebay.de/REO-M35-A-2-US-A...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

Jakob

What kind of tires are those? I wonder if that could be made to put on over top of a troop bed? With a little designing, I don't see why it couldn't work. Just have to have a way to get it on and off without being a major hassle. With some interior in it, my wife might actually go camping then, lol.

The tires look like russian types to me. I dont't understand some people. If I were to sell something like that I would look that at least the tires are inflated properly. That makes a bad real bad impression and gives some clues about the seller - realistic or not.
I'll ask him if he built it as a take-off or permanent structure. Maybe he has some hints about the contruction.
My wife wouldn't set a foot in that thing, as long as its od green and looks like the one above from the inside!

Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires are "equipment" types, used on graders, backhoes etc. They are available with different aspect ratios....I have looked at them as suitable replacements for the tires on my 8x8, which should have a 70% aspect ratio. They are very expensive ($1,000/tire) and there may be some speed limitations.

Jakob

Re: RE: DIY shelter on deuce

cranetruck said:
The tires are "equipment" types, used on graders, backhoes etc. They are available with different aspect ratios....I have looked at them as suitable replacements for the tires on my 8x8, which should have a 70% aspect ratio. They are very expensive ($1,000/tire) and there may be some speed limitations.
I presume that the speeds would be fairly low...? I'm no equipment tire expert though. I wonder if there's a source of used equipment tires? Although, they probably don't wear out that fast and are either dry rotted or chunked real bad, or both.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: DIY shelter on deuce

I like it. It gains you about 8" of width and the same in length internally over an S-280. Less by the time insulation is added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks