• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge WC series Throttle Pedal location ?

scottgs

I have always admired the WWII Dodge Trucks, and I have recently become interested in restoring one. However, I also recently sat in a WC-56 Command Car for the first time, and realized that it would be virtually impossible for me to drive, as my 6'3" body just doesn't fit, particularly with the throttle pedal mounted way up high on the transmission tunnel.

So, my question is this: Is the throttle pedal (or gas pedal) located in the same location on all WWII era WC's? Or is the WC-56 Command Car an anomaly?

In particular, I'm very interested in restoring a WC-63, as this is one of the vehicles which my father most admired as a mechanic in WWII, plus I personally think they are really cool looking trucks. However, it would be difficult to be enthusiastic about restoring a truck I can't drive. Unfortunately, the few times I've seen one, I've never thought to sit in the driver's seat and find out.

Thanks,
Garret

WolfWalking

Bad news big guy, the throttle position in all the 3/4 & 1 1/2 ton WCs is the same. I myself am 5'6" and fit quite well. You are not the first tall guy to comment on this. More bad news, I am restoring a WC 63.

scottgs

Thanks for the information. ...I think. Oh well, I guess I could always customize it! What amazes me is that I fit my Land Rover pretty well, yet I've always percieved it to be a significantly smaller vehicle, and always thinking the Dodges likely to be much more roomy.

I drove an M37 last week, and realized it's kind of tight too for my legs, at least for the clutch pedal and my left leg. I also noticed its seats sat much higher than the Command car. Perhaps it's just a matter of raising the seat up? I noticed the Command Car had very low seating, for a truck. Almost sitting on the floor board it seemed like. Surely someone has tackled this before? The problem is, I want a WC-63 so bad I can taste it.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

If you are wanting a WWII Dodge, you might want to try the WC54 ambulance. It has an adjustable drivers seat, plus a heater. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Thunder in NWOR

Garret -
I'm a touch over 6' 3" and at 300lbs.
The gas pedal just takes some getting used to. At first it seems to be pretzel like, but it works out....
I did lean my Command Car seat back about 2 inches - easy to do and does make a bit of difference (and drove it cross country 5500 miles in 2009).
GO for it!!!
Mark
(my son has been lusting after a WC 62 or 63 for years)

scottgs

SO there's hope! :) Thanks Mark.

I've been looking through a ton of photos I found on the web, including some very excellent detailed photos made during a restoration, and I can't help but think the seats sit significantly higher in the WC-63 than in the command car. I know pictures can be deceiving, but they've just got to be a little higher. These are the two vehicles which I really like, and which my father used to mention as his favorites, along with the GMC 6x6, which he also really liked. Kind of think of it, I guess he like all the trucks!

I need to find the next WWII vehicle rally and check it out in person. Unless there's an owner somewhere in the East Tennessee area?

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's much appreciated.

Garret

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Garret, If you go for a GMC (CCKW), go for the open cab. I have had both, the closed cab and open cab. I am 5'6 and I had to set on a cushion to see over the dash on the open cab. One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks