• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anybody know what these are for?

M920

I have been working on my APC and have been looking at a lot of photos on the internet.
So i noticed that alot of the tanks, apc's and wheeled vehicles deployed in Iraq have these square framed, louvered looking pannels on their sides and/or rear.
The vehicles in the pics have them clearly visible on their sides.
Does anybody know what these are for?

Thanks

Soni

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Man I cant remember what they are for but all of our trucks had them too. I wanna say it was a cheap shot at pre-detonating a RPG but I know thats not right. Man I will ask some of my old platoon members.. they will know if someone does not chime in.

Last edited:

M920

I know that they use some angled additional armored surfaces for the purpose of pre-detonating RPG's but these pannels look way to localized to be effective for that function.......

Westech

CPL
I asked one of my friends and he said they he thinks they were for training. I know I asked and was told but I really cant say.. I know most of them are just double sided taped on because I would loose them all the time.

Varyag

We had them on almost everything in the CAV. They tended to get trashed and bent up pretty fast. They tended to bind when siding them in and out of their mounts when you were cleaning the vehicle.

M920

We had them on almost everything in the CAV. They tended to get trashed and bent up pretty fast. They tended to bind when siding them in and out of their mounts when you were cleaning the vehicle.
Thanks for the response!

So if I understand you correctly the actual panels are made up from like 1/8 inch thick sheet metal that is bent in to the corrugated louvered shape without having a frame of their own. They than slide in to a frame type bracket that is attached to the side of the vehicle. Right?
Also, are the corrugated type panels revesible like the flat panels are? (CARC paint one side and thermal tape on the other)

Thanks

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks