• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT3/4 vs DOT5 - Solicone vs. Glykol based brake fluid

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were starting out with a completely new non ABS system which would you use. Kept inside, little offroad use

Also, how much does a complete system use?
im an OEM shop, I’ve had many military contracts
And work on and worked on pretty much every tactical vehicle in the inventory up to a few years ago…I just use DOT5.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO the only reason every HMMWV that comes out of surplus does not need a complete brake overhaul is because of the DOT 5 fluid, every vehicle with DOT 3 that I have seen that has sat for 5-10 years has crap for a brake system and I have seen a bunch of them.
Yes if you get water in it you can have issues (so don't do that!) but DOT 3 literally sucks moisture every time it gets a chance and then turns corrosive.

Vapor Trail

Thanks guys, I've read every article I could find about it and they all have pros and cons. I'm starting from scratch so there are no contamination issues and I don't see any reason moisture would get in there or it would get on my paint. I can definitely see the advantage for stored military vehicles but I don't do that either. I've heard about soft feeling pedals and hard to bleed with DOT5 too. I'll probably just use DOT 5 since that is what was in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks