• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Douglas aircraft water tanks

vtdeucedriver

Would not really be for the C-47, probably more for the C-54 as it would fly much farther and faster than the C-47 and would warrent having Potable Water.

toptiger

I doubt those water tanks were for human use. Some aircraft engines had water injection to boost hp when necessary for short periods. The shape of those tanks looks like they were designed to fit into a small area, like in the wing near the engine.

w200/m880

as you say look wing shape,nsn definately comes up as drinking water tank,both fitted with earth lead so permanantly affixed,both marked in us gallons and imperial gallons.

toptiger

you are quite right, it comes up as a water tank but nothing to indicate drinking water.
my point is that is not probably not for drinking water, but water injection for the engines and shaped to fit in the wings.

w200/m880

i put the aircraft order number into the computer and came up with c47 built in oklahoma for british contract,one did have a raf label on
The SAAF used two Dakota variants, the C-47A Dakota Mk.3 with Pratt & Whitney R-l830-92 engines and the C-47B Dakota Mk.4 with the R-1830-90C motors with two-stage supercharger allowing an increase in all-up weight from 29 300lb to 30 000lb. Our future "roadhouse" aeroplane was one of the latter and was officially designated a C-47B-5-DK (the suffix indicated it being built by Douglas Oklahoma plant) and was built on Contract No AC-40652 which included 305 aircraft for the UK government of which five were replaced by other models capable of towing gliders and 10 were diverted to South Africa.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most likely drinking water tanks as labled, anti detonation injection (ADI) water injection was a mix of distilled water, dromis B oil, and methanol.
The C 47s and C54s I maintained were not equiped w/ ADI, however the P&W R2800 equiped DC6 and Convairs were. The Convair carried one 15 gal tank and I think the -6 had a 22 gal tank. If the system was operational, the tanks would be drained during max power take off. Nice blue flame out of the exhaust stacks.
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks