• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Down the Rabbit Hole! My Chronicles of Buying a Surplus M1152A1. One Place For All Who Want to Know.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It amazes me some of the "repairs" I have found. One of the rear half shats only has 3 bolts in them and has a worm style hose clamp on the boot. It looks like it has been that way for a very long time. Also there is only one lock washer on one of the 3 bolts. Looks like another order to McMaster Carr for some Nordlocks.

Are the CV boots military only or is there a commercial part available? I did a search but did find anything here in terms of a commercial part.
On at least one version of the halfshaft someone in a thread a few years back took it into their local auto parts store and was able to get one that matched up well enough to use. I don't recall any information afterwards about if it had any issues though.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So someone decided to the wheels should be hub centric instead of lug centric. That's how some of the H1 wheels I've seen are
(still, gotta wonder what else they did to the truck)

spankybear

Ah, I see Pvt. Sabotage worked on your vehicle as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did find picture of a couple of Marine Mechanic working on my actual truck while it was in service in the USMC... Make me wonder...

williamh

First. Wtf ?? Holes like that in the hood ?? I get where the front near the reflectors get tore off due to getting too close but wth ?? Nice repair job 👍. I’m guessing those lug nuts are on that way for the low drag coefficient. 😎

spankybear

Done with the fiber glassing and the hood is all painted up... Fixed the grill also... coming along...

Attachments

dma251

Looking good! I'm working my way down my own rabbit hole with a Govplanet M1165A1. Also nice work not letting the sometimes cliquish culture of these boards discourage you from posting about your project. Most on here are just regular folks who want to help others. Where in Washington are you at?

spankybear

Looking good! I'm working my way down my own rabbit hole with a Govplanet M1165A1. Also nice work not letting the sometimes cliquish culture of these boards discourage you from posting about your project. Most on here are just regular folks who want to help others. Where in Washington are you at?
I am also in SnHo county... Sky valley that is... Need help or something let me know. I love to see other MV!

I am not going to let any cliquish chase me away. I have worked on a LMTV and CUCVs and found this board a long time ago. I I find the "experts" here entertaining and love to LOL at them. Especially when they think you need their "knowledge"...

I would take more pictures and I wanted to video what I am doing. But when I get on task the day is gone with no pictures. Some of the things I did was treat the rust on the oil cooler. It was rusty and needed attention. I also had to find and install of the parts for the right side splash shield. Lots of looking at the 24P to get the correct fasteners, clips, braces and things. The hood was a big project. After I fixed all of the holes and cracks, I did a lot of finish work to fix the chips and scratches. I really didn't know how bad these were until I finished the repairs and had primer on. Lots of icing and spot filler.

Next is the rest of the body and figuring out what I am going to do for doors and the back of the cab. Don't know if I am just going to spend the $$$$$$ on doors or make some. I have a few ideas for the back of the cab. I can't wait to get it in the road. It runs very well....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks