• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drop Deck Trailer

M1075

I need (want) a good trailer to haul around a couple of MVs. I haven't found any military trailer that is well suited for the application, but commercial ones are always so expensive. I saw this one on ebay recently and got outbid. I think it is perfect setup for hauling just about anything. It maximizes deck space, but still has ramps to drive/winch vehicles on. Does anyone have something similar they use?

Attachments

Monty

The trailer looks like it would work well, i've been looking at them myself. My only concer with a single drop trailer is the overall height if you were to drive a MV onto one. Thats why most equipment is moved or delivered on a double drop trailer.
You'll need to check and see what the DOT regs are for max height. I thought it was 13.6 but I might be off and hopefully someone will correct me.
When I had My 5ton delivered it had to go on a double drop because of height.
The other thing I was wondering, If you drive across state lines and your not hauling for profit can you put a "NOT FOR HIRE" and be left alone?

M1075

I believe max height allowed without permits is 13'6". With most 2.5 & 5 tons in the 9-10' range, you would close with a 40" deck height.

jasonjc

The thing with the double drop is the useable bed size is only 27' or so. Unless you get an etar loooong trailer. There is one on e-bay now that has 27' center with a 5' 12' 17' extension, for a total of 61' plus the rear axles and the front hitch. So what would that be 80-100' long??? how would you like to pull that thing around??

M1075

I think a mulifuel could work as long as you kept the towed load under 30,000#, didn't expect many hills, and didn't plan on going anywhere fast.

Mike_Pop

I have a military trailer for sale. It was an M117 6 ton trailer. I converted it to a bumper pulled trailer and have used it quite a bit. I sold my Unimog and don't have anything to haul it with. So...first $2750 takes it! The deck is 28' long including the 5' beaver tail. I don't think it is more than 40" off the ground.

I had it listed in the classifieds but the ad expired. I'll try to update it.

rizzo

westfolk said:
I can refer to a 1K mile trip I made to south of KC, MO running at 14'5". Yes you HAVE to watch bridge heights.

You can haul M35s on an everyday flat no problem of crossing the 13'6" line. An M109 will cross it, hence requiring a dropdeck, or lowboy, etc.
we did NOT use the single drop to pick up M109 trucks. by our calculations they would not fit. We towed them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks