• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dropside Troop Seat Differences.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anyone out there who can post some pics on the differences between regular and dropside troopseats?
Thanks in advance!

deuceman51

I don't think there is a difference between the two. The only thing different is the latch pins on the dropside that hold the uprights in place when the side is folded down and the latch that holds the troop seat to the headache rack. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

emr

I don't have any diagonal suports, they are the same , the latch is on the bed for the troop seats...they bed lenth on the 5 ton is the same 12 ft as the deuce it has the fixed space that makes the difference, to 14 ft bed, the seat boards are different alittle but can also work on a standard bed, they have the space the 2 middle boards shorter, ...randy

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont have pics right now, but dropsides have 2 angle braces that go into the bed that support the back end of the sides. Also, there are clips that hold the angle braces when NOT uses, and there are 4 latch pins that allow the troopseats to slide in/out. Really, the only piece that are different are the end supports on the troop seats, they have the holes for the latch pins, bracketry for the angle braces, and clips to hold the braces up..

emr

Oh the angle braces that go from the drop side upper rear part to the hole in the bed? I dont think that has anything to do with the troop seats, it holds the bed side from flapping, and alot of trucks i see dont have em anyway.they dont do anything to or for the seats.. I have em in my trucks, but they were not there when i got em though, and the little loop that holds the upper front troop seat to the stationary short one, is actaully attacthed to the backrest upper part,havent seen many trucks with those pins still in them either, can easily live without those for awhile too, the little pin that goes in there is cool, i have come up with three and am looking for one more, ..Randy

emr

oh yea... memory i remember know... could have sworn i remembered them to the side, oh well, Thanks, If riding with the gate down that is when they come to use. ...Randy

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emr said:
Oh the angle braces that go from the drop side upper rear part to the hole in the bed? I dont think that has anything to do with the troop seats, it holds the bed side from flapping, and alot of trucks i see dont have em anyway.they dont do anything to or for the seats.. I have em in my trucks, but they were not there when i got em though, and the little loop that holds the upper front troop seat to the stationary short one, is actaully attacthed to the backrest upper part,havent seen many trucks with those pins still in them either, can easily live without those for awhile too, the little pin that goes in there is cool, i have come up with three and am looking for one more, ..Randy
I think the angle braces are so the sides won't accidently drop with troops sitting in the seats. The braces attach to the troop seats not the bed so if you remove the troop seats you'll have to remove the braces.
On my a2c I have the locking pins but they won't go in so I think I have regular a2 seats without the hole. Another differance in the a2c is the front rack and troop seats are tied together with a pin instead of a hook that is found on the a2 seats so you can drop the sides without raising the front rack up to unhook it from the seats

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty, thats what i need or need a pic of. Right now if I want to drop a side, I need to remove the front rack. I want to fix that before too much longer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since I have regular a2 troop seats on my dropside I can't help with pics. There is a pretty good pic in the 361-10 manual on page 2-101 number 13,14.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boatcarpenter or anyone have a photo detailing the hole in the bench uprights that receives the securing pin?

And..... are the uprights on the drop side and regular benches the same material and dimension?

It appears that I too have regular benches in a drop side truck bed. I am not concerned about switching for all the correct pieces, so I am formulating a plan to change the front rack to a pull pin system like the photos above (hopefully better, to prevent rattles!) and install hardened holes for the pins in the bench uprights.

Rick

Gunfreak25

I'm glad I found this old thread! I didn't know my M211 bed had dropside troop seats on it until now. It came with 1 of the securing pins and all the angle braces which up until now I had no idea what any of it was for. Anyone have a 2nd securing pin for the head rack?