• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DTC Code 164-0 and 164-3 anyone have any experience here?

alleuro

IMG_0814.jpgIMG_0812.jpgI have low power the fuel filters are new and I have changed out the fuel filter housing. From what I could find with the excessive actuation pressure code is that it could be a sensor on the high pressure oil.

I also have injector activation voltage High no idea on this one. Anyone been down this path?

:tigger:

Last edited:

alleuro

So I replaced the oil injector actuation sensor and my troubles are over with the low power issue and the check engine has cleared. This is the small 3 wire sensor on the front left side of the head above the fuel pump. My activation pressure was extremely high on the engine monitor prior to changing this out.

Last edited:

alleuro

So is this worthy of me posting the part number I got from Cat so someone in the future can source this somewhere other than your local cat dealer? Part was $160 from Cat and the same thing is online for about $100 so save $60?

Before someone goes off on genuine Cat parts etc. The cat part is made in Mexico "Hecho en Mexico" right on the yellow Cat plastic wrapper. Not an exact replica of what I took off and the same unit is cheaper online. I will take a picture of wrapper and the old and new one and edit this post.

alleuro

IMG_0900.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0901.jpgPart number photo 1
photo2 markings and additional numbers on new part
Photo 3 New part on the left old on the lower right

I hope this helps someone in the future. My truck was running bad and would not make power.

Last edited:

scottmandu

The HEUI system on the caterpillars are super finicky and I'd tread carefully using non OEM parts. I've heard stories of various aftermarket components being installed and then the HEUI pump take a dump. Saving $60.00 may not be such a fantastic idea if it takes out a $1800 pump.

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just experienced this with a CAT 3126 M1078. Intermittent loss of power, as if the engine were stumbling and maybe not getting enough fuel, though the frequency and duration of the stumbling had the feel of something electrical cutting out. It got more and more frequent until the truck would only limp, though the accelerator pedal was to the floor. It did it while driving and while idling. The CEL came on. The diesel service shop pulled the codes and replaced the sensor right away, and it ran great after. They said the wire to the sensor was broken, but really it looks like the end of one of the wires just came unsoldered. They charged about $180 for the part, but I see you can get it much cheaper online.

Attachments

Reactions: NDT

MrMikey4026

I manage a large fleet with a number of Cat C7 engines. Sensors, Injectors and HEUI pumps are a constant problem, along with an occasional dropped exhaust valve. The 3126 and C7 are closely related, nearly identical engines.
The C7 has a design life of 18,000 hours, most of mine are lucky to do half of that. I have had Cummins QSB and ISB engines go over 75,000 hours, Detroit Diesel 2 strokes go 65, 000 hours. Must be because our duty cycle is so high? The engine moves the truck (56,000 lbs) and also powers a Roots blower that is 210 HP (not both at the same time).
My Cat dealer hates working on them, they make much more money working on off road equipment. When I drive one in the yard you can see mechanics running out the back door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks