• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual mounting a 802A and 803A on a M116A3 trailer

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an XM1061E1 trailer. It is a fantastic trailer and I use it quite often. However, this is NOT a trailer to be pulled behind a light pickup truck! I like it because you can level the trailer into a very stable platform. You must have air or air over hydraulic brakes to pull it.

Ray70

Yea, I had a M1061 that came with (2) 003 AASK units and the frame from a radio antenna rig ( I think )
Towed it home from Long Island NY with a friend's dually and no brakes.... ( took the ferry across to CT. ) was a whole lot of fun without brakes!
Awesome trailer IF you have a big truck to haul it. Even a Ram 3500 diesel dually is not really enough, mainly due to the ring height.
Brakes is a whole other story, but for $1200 it can be converted to electric / hydraulic and be a sweet piece!
12" lower on the hitch would be ideal.

IMG_0530.JPG

Attachments

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1983 GMC C7000 with air brakes, so that would not be an issue. Has a big block 427 gasser, so not the best from a fuel efficiency standpoint, but with dual 50 gallons tanks, it still get decent range, despite getting around 5 mpg, lol.

That trailer definitely put that Ram 3500 to work, lol.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1061 trailers are even heavier if you have one that has the double tongues to facilitate being pulled by an M113 APC. I've pulled mine with an M35A2 and M35A3. I live in the mountains and the deuce struggles on the hills without any load in the truck or on the trailer. I definitely limit other drivers speed that are following behind. Most loads I use the trailer for are very light weight, but bulky. They are designed to be pulled behind a 5-ton.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is not a trailer you back up to without a ground guide. You need to be right on the mark, to get it right. I was used to the M200A1 trailers and the like. Get it in the ball park, and push, pull or pick up the trailer, to get it in the hitch. Not this bad boy. We had trailers with only one axle in Hawk, that carried the radars. Same deal. Was nothing in the world going to move that baby over 1-2 inches, to hook it up.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not a trailer you back up to without a ground guide. You need to be right on the mark, to get it right. I was used to the M200A1 trailers and the like. Get it in the ball park, and push, pull or pick up the trailer, to get it in the hitch. Not this bad boy. We had trailers with only one axle in Hawk, that carried the radars. Same deal. Was nothing in the world going to move that baby over 1-2 inches, to hook it up.
I almost always end up hooking up the XM1061E1 I have by myself. You are absolutely right - it can be a real pain. I raise the trailer tongue and then back the truck up until the pintle hook is in the right position, but it is usually either left or right of where it needs to be. I have a John Deere 5520 tractor that I have forks on. I lift the tongue and push with a fork or pull it until it is in position and drop in in place with either both or one of the trailer brakes released, depending on the situation. Without my tractor and forks, I draft my wife as a spotter, but that normally results in arguments when instructions are confused.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would look for the deaf, dumb and blind kid, before getting my wife to spot me!
I know it isn't really funny - but I agree!

My version of spotting is to back up real slow. Get out, look, adjust, do it again. Yeah, it can tire you out getting in and out - but a block or a 2x4 or something on the ground is a good reference point.

Much easier than having a spotter that "isn't or can't".

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've occasionally used a suicide jack to move a trailer tongue a little bit if needed, but only if the trailer jack was nice and sturdy and wouldn't have issues if it got a little side load on it. Use it pushing at a 45 degree angle instead of straight up, and it either slides the bottom of the jack or slides the trailer tongue landing jack.

(suicide jack = farm jack = high lift jack)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks