• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Voltage Generator - 12v?

01GRANDER

So my generator is the 200 14/24 and I am trying to figure out how to connect 12v items. I know I probably sound stupid but obviously 14v is not 12v but I do know even 110/220 is not actually those at a steady rate.

Is 14v able to power and not cause issues with 12v accessories or do you still use a 24/12 step down to power normal items?

I really want to install a radio of some sort this weekend and I can get a fuse block in time but the step down adapter will not be able to get here in time.

Thanks,
Steven

papakb

Your everyday snailmobiles electrical system will normally run around 13.4 volts and charge at around 14 so the alternator 14v output that connects to the interbattery link is where you'll connect your 12v civy stuff.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's 12V nominal. When operating it will be closer to 14V, when shut off 12.6 is considered a charged battery, and if it's at 12.0 it's considered dead. Voltage has to be higher than the battery in order to make it charge.
if it's an item designed for use in an automobile on 12V, then it should be able to handle up to about 15V before having issues.
That being said, small 12V loads can be connected to the rear battery, but only small loads. It only puts out about 50 amps of 12V total, and the transmission uses some of that, so you probably want to keep it under 20 amps or so. Anything more than that definitely use a converter.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you have the dual voltage generator, you will not have any voltage come out of the 14v side unless you have a battery cable going from the 12v+ of the rear battery to the 14v+ on the generator. The 14v+ generator does not put out any voltage unless it has something with voltage connected to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks