• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually tire question

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for ya.. What is the widest tires that can be used on factory rims ( on my 85) dually?
also any info on rim spacers would be helpful...

Jeepadict

As wide as you want as long as the inner sidewalls NEVER touch. Can't cite sizes, too many combinations to work with. I've seen guys able to run 35x14 rubber for duals in years past...lots of trial and error.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jeepadict

Most tire shops I've worked with are willing to do some "trying on of the shoe selection" as long as it's what's in stock. YMMV but see what your local shops are willing to do for you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get the 1", what spacer did you use?
I think mine is 3 inch but that info won't help you. I have 16.5 inch wheels. The backspace is different than your 16 inch wheels and I have 37x12.5 tires. You'll have to mount your tires and then figure out the size spacer needed by placing one tire on top of another and then measure the distance in between the wheel mounting surfaces. Add one inch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for ya.. What is the widest tires that can be used on factory rims ( on my 85) dually?
also any info on rim spacers would be helpful...
Things to consider -

1) if the rear tires touch each other at all, they'll build heat and catastrophically fail.

2) the bigger the spacers, the more stress is placed on them. Spacer failure is not uncommon.

3) steel spacers are preferable to aluminum.

4) spacers add width to the truck. It is not difficult to go over the legal limit of 102", at which point DOT will harass you to death.

My experience with duals on a pickup is not specific to the cucv unfortunately. On my dodge ram I ended up going with 285/75R17 Toyo AT2 tires on stock wheels and 1/2" of steel spacers between the duals. This yields very little space between the rears, but they don't touch, even when hooked to a heavy gooseneck trailer, or with 4000lbs in the bed. I have been running this configuration for about 200,000 miles, and get about 55,000miles out of each set of tires. (285/75r17 ~ 34x11.5)

In your position I'd look at 285/75R16 tires. This is a 33" tire and should look really good on your truck, without requiring much (if any) spacer and without sacrificing anything in terms of load carrying abilities and strength. They'll fit on the stock rims.

JMHO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks