• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duals on the front?

Snarky

I think it's funny that they tell you to do a search and the first thread someone pulls up is from 2005 with no discussion and the second has a title AND an opening post that doesn't relate to the subject and is about the 'wrong' deuce. Great searching guys.

I think it's reasonable to start a new thread, especially since the "recent" 'dual front wheel' thread everyone was thinking about was about 2 front axles.

It seems like if you just put budd caps on the front lugs that you could put dual front wheels on easy, is that not the case? I mean I'm sure enough people here have spare lug nut sets and NDTs that they would have tried it just to be different? Are the studs different in the front from the rear?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems like if you just put budd caps on the front lugs that you could put dual front wheels on easy, ...........
Are the studs different in the front from the rear?
That's it, studs are all the same, put budd caps or "thimbles" in place of the 3/4"-16 front lug nuts, 2nd wheel on, 1 1/8"-16 nuts, ready......!
Technically not a problem and it has been done and tried many times in my area.... believe me there is no comparison to what single wide radials can do in soft sand and soil, just on the front axle, compared to stock NDTs, dualed.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also think I have found that the 1400's super singles are the same diameter as the 1100's just wider. that may be the way to go.
You sure meant the 14.5R20 = 11.00-20 = 43" O.D.

For a (nose-heavy) winch truck put 12.5R20 singles on the front, keep dual 9.00-20s at the rears or better 14.5R20s front/11.00-20s rear.... IMO that IS the way to go when starting with a tight budget...

G.

emr

As usuall the Army did it first, With the cckw 352 short wheel base deuces, they had bud wheels in the FRONT also !!! and 2 spares behind the cab just for this, this was a designated truck for artillery placement and this was part of its ability to use the deuls in front for all that extra pull, I had one for years and ran the deuls on her for years also, I feel as long as one greases more regularly never turn the steering wheel unless moving to ease strain, I do this anyway on all my vehicles, it is just fine, there is NO law against it, There is a guy in NYC who has run em on his m37 and deuce also, He loved it....I would do it if I were U, I have experience with it and it was just the super way cool factor, for sure.....Randy

Biggles

A few points to consider on this "Duals on the Front" modification:

1. Be prepared for the "ARMSTRONG" steering experience;

2. You'll be transferring LOAD outboard of the original spindle design parapmeters, so be sure to inspect the spindles BEFORE EVERY highway use, lest you lose a wheelset and kill yourself or someone else;

3. Outboard tires will be outside the fenders - DO NOT expect the sheetmetal to FEND OFF any airborne slung-mud careening toward your HEAD!;

4. Braking potential will be altered due to the near doubling of the rotating inertial mass as well as the increased tractive forces.

Just my 2cents

Those are all very good points, maybe just adding the outer wheels only when needed would be the way to go.

Biggles

or a set of much wider super singles with the same diameter.......but then you get into the two different spares............seems like the military really knew what they were doing in the first place.

monkster

I had a friend tell me when he was station in the artic they put duals on the frt. to get around in the snow better. They had no problem going where they wanted to, he said.

DMgunn

I think front duals make any generation truck look tougher - but good pics are hard to find - these are all I've collected (that haven't been posted yet) in several years of looking.

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that in the Dec 2009/Jan 2010 issue of Supply Line, page 14, picture #2 taken on Iwo Jima during the invasion shows a truck with dual fronts. The truck is at right center in the color photo. The truck at left center might have them too, but it is hard to tell. I did not copy the picture here due to copyrights.
My experience with duals in packed snow drifts is they are a real problem, I used to take off the outer wheels on my M135 6x6 for cutting through snow. The duals would plow too much snow, giving problems with stopped forward motion and drive line chatter.
Regards Marti

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MDMORGAN's truck went home early after breaking part of the steering linkage too! Be careful what you wish for!:driver:
If you look at the vid where he broke the truck, you will see the ditch he was in and how the outer fronts hit the side of ditch at a good rate of speed.