• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DUKW's scrap or rusty gold?

b money

Ok although I do no have the cash, place, or most of the equipment to even attempt a restoration on a dukw, I have to ask. How far gone is too far? I ask because I recently drove by a spot close to my house that I forgot has at least two dukw's but if I remember its more like 6 or 8. there in the middle of a grove of trees and I remember one had a tree growing out of the middle of it, I walked through the grove when I was maybe 14 or so. When I say bad I mean BAD, they honestly look like they've been there since before the war. there all on private property owned by a very private person so no picture. I need to know if there worth anything more than scrap, and also what main points determine if a dukw is garbage or it is salvagable?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hull is everything. I had one like that down here, It would have only yielded the gear cases, winch, etc. It was going to be a pain to get out, so I passed on it.

dogtags

It depends on if you want a floater or not. If you just want to drive it, you can start off with a pretty bad hull. If you want a floater, get the best you can!

Some parts are hard to find, so if you can grab them for parts, perhaps you could part them out to make some money for a better hull.

~Robert

b money

Hmm ok I might have to actually take a look at these. Say one has a "good" hull as in not rusted through, what would be a going price for something like that? How about one with a bad hull?

b money

nopics

I know of atleast 4 guys who are on this post, more than an almost empty bottle of Crown Royal at PB's hooch. Some pics of the possible salvage please!
Haha ok I'll see what I can do, I might be able to run out before work tomorrow and grab a few shots from the road but I'm not going in any closer until I have someone else with a closer relationship to the owner. and that might take awhile guys so dont hold your breath.

Carlo

Sounds to good to be true but there are still these things hiding on barns, sheds and woods all over the world. You dont know till you ask and what do you have to loose?

b money

well I didnt get a chance to take any pictures today. Tomorrow morning I plan on going out there.

and Flingarrows, thanks for the generous offer but honestly there is no way I could get one of them, I can dream though.

Carlo

well I didnt get a chance to take any pictures today. Tomorrow morning I plan on going out there.

and Flingarrows, thanks for the generous offer but honestly there is no way I could get one of them, I can dream though.

Dont forgret us! Im seeing what it will look like in my mind and cant wait to see the pics!!

b money

I won't trust me. And don't forget "they" not "it" haha I can see 2 from the road and I know there's a few more there too, along with a couple old farmal A or B's maybe I don't remember anymore.

b money

Well guys as promised I didnt leave you out in the cold... Totally....

Im sorry that's the best picture I could get because I didn't want stop the car and take a look because of property issues that I'm not about to get into with the owner. Like I said earlier they are very private and as I learned from a friend they have had people "snooping" around before. On the plus side though I learned from my buddy that the dukw's are are actually being restored, or at least being worked on. So I don't feel as bad that I can't get one haha.

Ok I hope this picture finally works

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks