• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easiest way to access underdash air lines in a M931A2?

viking1

I just cleaned my PPV, as air pressure gauges were pegging at 150PSI, no air to wipers, horn, 4WD, etc. Now that I cleaned and lubed the PPV, the truck wont build air past 40 PSI. When I shut it off, I can hear a big leak under the dash by the middle section w the on/off & start switch for 10 seconds after shutoff. Whats the easiest way to get in there to find the leak? Not a heckuva lot of room in there, and it sounds like leak is behind the fragile blower hoses. TM's I have dont really cover that (might be missing one). Thx in advance....

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just cleaned my PPV, as air pressure gauges were pegging at 150PSI, no air to wipers, horn, 4WD, etc. Now that I cleaned and lubed the PPV, the truck wont build air past 40 PSI. When I shut it off, I can hear a big leak under the dash by the middle section w the on/off & start switch for 10 seconds after shutoff. Whats the easiest way to get in there to find the leak? Not a heckuva lot of room in there, and it sounds like leak is behind the fragile blower hoses. TM's I have dont really cover that (might be missing one). Thx in advance....
Undo all the heater air cables from their appropriate places and the dash comes out enough to get to everyone

It's an A2 truck so you have plenty of room going in from the passengers side to lean under the dash. The A0/1 trucks have a dog house so they have less room than the A2 trucks.

An air leak behind the dashboard has to be above 60psi for that. That is when the PPV opens.

viking1

Undo all the heater air cables from their appropriate places and the dash comes out enough to get to everyone

It's an A2 truck so you have plenty of room going in from the passengers side to lean under the dash. The A0/1 trucks have a dog house so they have less room than the A2 trucks.

An air leak behind the dashboard has to be above 60psi for that. That is when the PPV opens.
Thank you much Sir. It actually seems like its the battery disconnect & off/on/start switches on the left side that are hanging up that center piece. Side w the air cables is coming out a lot further. Obvious a packrat was back there, must have chewed a hole in a hose. BTW its definitely not hitting 60 PSI on my gauges, wonder if theyre wrong.....

charlesmann

i had a very similar issue, but evidently not to the extent of yours. the wiper motor air hose had a cut in it where it slid onto the stem for the supply air. i too had a heck of a time getting enough room but managed to get my hands in there. my leak was enough i could hear it with the truck running, but it would build and maintain around 100psi. after cutting back the wiper hose to get a clean connection, it stopped. only i have now is out of the parking/emerg brake chamber on the rear axle. it takes about 10 min for the leak to deplete the air tanks.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thx for the help guys. Was able to get in there and lo & behold........ :)
Well... I guess that confirms that mice hang out in the desert too.

Nothing specific to being in the big city or out in the country, near the coast, or up in the mountains. Seems that a mouse does what a mouse does - and eventually decides to say maybe offer up a watery contribution as well. :-(

viking1

Well... I guess that confirms that mice hang out in the desert too.

Nothing specific to being in the big city or out in the country, near the coast, or up in the mountains. Seems that a mouse does what a mouse does - and eventually decides to say maybe offer up a watery contribution as well. :-(

Actually way worse than mice; a packrat. Those creatures can (have, and will) completely destroy vehicles in just a short time.....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Actually way worse than mice; a packrat. Those creatures can (have, and will) completely destroy vehicles in just a short time.....
I am often referred to as a packrat, so I didn't realize they really existed.

It is amazing here how we have tiny mice here - and they will shread an engine compartment in just a few days. Even with all their fluff, they are about half the size of a golfball.

viking1

I am often referred to as a packrat, so I didn't realize they really existed.

It is amazing here how we have tiny mice here - and they will shread an engine compartment in just a few days. Even with all their fluff, they are about half the size of a golfball.

I dont like killing them, but here's what they do in your vehicle (and this is BEFORE they start chewing the wires).....

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a time when Subaru had wire harnesses made with a soy-based wire insulation (for environmental reasons) that the rodents just loved. It was such a problem that they had to change their formulation somewhere around 2007-ish?

viking1

There was a time when Subaru had wire harnesses made with a soy-based wire insulation (for environmental reasons) that the rodents just loved. It was such a problem that they had to change their formulation somewhere around 2007-ish?
The late 80's to mid 90's Mercedes Benz W124's & W140's suffered from that exact same malady. Magnificent unsurpassed cars once you sort it out w a non biodegradable harness. Utter crapboxes if you didnt. I know, we have 13 of them here..... :)

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda hoping that my Prestolite wire is made of all the best materials that the EPA and California have since banned that might be caustic to rodents. So far so good...

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the packrat put a few pieces of cactus in there too? Looks like he was on the defense to keep out the probing hands of the truck owner 😲

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It looks like the packrat put a few pieces of cactus in there too? Looks like he was on the defense to keep out the probing hands of the truck owner 😲
Very funny...
So long as it isn't your hand.

Dang that hurt! (or could have hurt)

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some years I’ve been cutting a bar of Irish Spring soap and leaving the pieces under my seats. I’ve been told that mice don’t like the smell of it and it helps to keep them out of the cab. I have mice on my property but I don’t see any evidence of them in my vehicles. I did have a mouse living in the back of my 934 for a while. I caught him with a trap them put Irish Spring soap chunks in several places inside the box. Seems to work…

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some years I’ve been cutting a bar of Irish Spring soap and leaving the pieces under my seats. I’ve been told that mice don’t like the smell of it and it helps to keep them out of the cab. I have mice on my property but I don’t see any evidence of them in my vehicles. I did have a mouse living in the back of my 934 for a while. I caught him with a trap them put Irish Spring soap chunks in several places inside the box. Seems to work…
That's cheap insurance. I like it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks