• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy way to remove front axle inner oil seal.

Dipstick

Chris at Memphis Trucks taught me a really easy way to remove the front axle inner oil seals for replacement. I would like to share it with my fellow soldiers. This is done after removing the front brake assemblies, bearing spindles and axles. You simply take a 10' long piece of 1/2" steel pipe with a threaded cap on the end, insert it all the way through the axle housing and differential and tap it a few times with a three pound hammer. The seal should pop right out. Do the same thing from the opposite side for the other seal. Just make sure that the pipe cap is contacting the inner side of the metal seal and not just going through the seals hole. I tapped at the top and then the bottom of the seal. 0606191334-00.jpgSeal removal.jpgI know you guys might already know this, but I thought I'd share for those that don't and my be contemplating doing the work.

Dipstick

Yup. Same idea. I ground two notches in one end of the two foot piece I had cut off and it made a perfect hydraulic jack handle. Much better than the wimpy three piece thing that came with it.

Dipstick

I should mention that my leaky seal diagnosis was wrong. It turned out to be nothing more than a torn zipper boot allowing rain water to mix with kingpin bushing grease. That explained the watery, slightly oily wet marks on the inside of the front tires. I'm glad I did it though, because someone left two 3/8" steel nuts in the driver's side brakes, badly damaging the shoes and drum. I never felt or heard a thing in seven years of driving it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks