• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053 Shifter Shaft Cover

biscuitwhistler37

So what started as a wiring job ended as three jobs, which I'll be documenting as I go. This one is to fix a shifting issue which is still unknown between the shifter shaft, the 4-5 shift lever, and probably the clutch. Starting here I'm using TM 9-2520-246-34-1 as reference and hoping for the best, the transmission was allegedly rebuilt, the skill of the builder unknown. Any and all input appreciated 20240409_181859.jpg

biscuitwhistler37

The correct number is 3053 (title edited). Now, where did you get that "Eaton Fuller" from...?

And what kind of issues are you experiencing ?
Dyslexia strikes again. Google says Eaton, TM says Spicer, data tag says 3053, I'm sure more corrections will be necessary. Firstly there's what seems to me to be too much slop in the shifter, and when shifting from 3 to 4, well simply put it doesn't want to. Grinds terribly, just feels like something is out of alignment in there and it's leaking from the shifter shaft. The clutch or related issue is even with the pedal fully pressed for 5-10 seconds, while engaging first gear I can feel what I'm guessing is a gear spinning, very slowly, slowly easing the shifter downward stops and engages the gear. 20240409_194838.jpg
Is the shift shaft supposed to return to this position by itself?20240409_194822.jpg
Because it doesn't. Appreciate the input, and correcting my mistakes 😆

Reactions: HDN

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the shift shaft supposed to return to this position by itself?
Return from where? It is only spring-loaded to the left, when engaging the 1st-rev shift rail. Out of 1st-rev and back in neutral position, it stays anywhere between center-upright or tilted to the right, wherever you leave it. So, yes, there is a lot of slope, so to speak, and it is normal for these transmissions.

If the clutch is fully depressed but the disc is still (even so slightly) dragging, 1st and reverse gears will grind, for sure. You can eventually avoid this by first trying to shift into second (that stops the gears) and then immediately go into 1st.

Inspecting, adjusting (or replacing) the clutch should eliminate all grinding issues - that is, unless your synchro(s) are ready for retirement...

biscuitwhistler37

Return from where? It is only spring-loaded to the left, when engaging the 1st-rev shift rail. Out of 1st-rev and back in neutral position, it stays anywhere between center-upright or tilted to the right, wherever you leave it. So, yes, there is a lot of slope, so to speak, and it is normal for these transmissions.

If the clutch is fully depressed but the disc is still (even so slightly) dragging, 1st and reverse gears will grind, for sure. You can eventually avoid this by first trying to shift into second (that stops the gears) and then immediately go into 1st.

Inspecting, adjusting (or replacing) the clutch should eliminate all grinding issues - that is, unless your synchro(s) are ready for retirement...
Return from center, I didn't know it was supposed to stay when tilted towards the passenger side. They (synchros) shouldn't be but who knows. Can't diagnose anything properly with the clutch dragging and out of adjustment though, and putting what's happening with what you explained equals the clutch as the weak link. If after all that is adjusted and proper there's still an issue, I'll pull the top cover and go from there. Thanks for clarifying all that.

Reactions: HDN

MG2936

So what started as a wiring job ended as three jobs, which I'll be documenting as I go. This one is to fix a shifting issue which is still unknown between the shifter shaft, the 4-5 shift lever, and probably the clutch. Starting here I'm using TM 9-2520-246-34-1 as reference and hoping for the best, the transmission was allegedly rebuilt, the skill of the builder unknown. Any and all input appreciated View attachment 920908
Dyslexia strikes again. Google says Eaton, TM says Spicer, data tag says 3053, I'm sure more corrections will be necessary. Firstly there's what seems to me to be too much slop in the shifter, and when shifting from 3 to 4, well simply put it doesn't want to. Grinds terribly, just feels like something is out of alignment in there and it's leaking from the shifter shaft. The clutch or related issue is even with the pedal fully pressed for 5-10 seconds, while engaging first gear I can feel what I'm guessing is a gear spinning, very slowly, slowly easing the shifter downward stops and engages the gear. View attachment 920925
Is the shift shaft supposed to return to this position by itself?View attachment 920926
Because it doesn't. Appreciate the input, and correcting my mistakes 😆
I had the 3-4 shift problem with mine, new synchros did not help, then someone on the forum said that a bad input shaft bearing would cause this problem. I pulled the tranny, the bearing was really bad, replaced it and it shifted perfectly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks