• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EGT Thermo Coupling Location????

devilman96

I went to get the Deuce this weekend and ended up having to abort the mission due to head gasket failure... I will post more about that in a bit with pics but while I have these heads off I want to drill and mount my EGT in the manifold...

My question is where??? I know it is some what a matter of opinion and or personal preference but I was wondering what you guys have done with yours and if there was anything you would have done differently?

I have seen both 1200 and 1400 degrees as "max" on the LDT so what are we calling the max temp?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the #1 exaust port there is a 1/8 pipe plug facing the rad. I removed that plug and put it there. Since the plug has been there 40 years and seen a cycle or two of hot and cold you might not be able to get it out. Otherwise i would put it just before the turbo. If mounted there you will get a better indication of temp from all the cylinders. I'm basicly only reading #1. The reason you want it before the turbo is that you need to see the temp the blade tips and the bearings are being subjected to.As far as the temp goes there are many different opinions. Unless you crank up your fuel rate i doubt it could pull 1200 deg unless the air filter was stopped up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion above 1200° is the danger zone. I also concur with Ken on pre turbo readings, post turbo readings can be deceiving. There is a plenum at the exhaust manifold outlet that complicates getting an accurate average reading. Since you have the manifold off, I would drill and tap it close to the outlet of the manifold on both sides of the plenum. You can always drill it in several locations and just pipe plug them for possible future use. Does it look like you'll be able to get a gasket set in hand before the weekend?

devilman96

Yeah I had the kit over nighted but it was later yesterday so I will get it tomorrow AM... The heads are on the way back to me from the shop now... Had to have .009 and .007 shaved to get them straight I think TM spec calls for them to be with in .002 with a cutting max of .005. Technically I am over the spec cutting limit by .003 - .004 but I will pretend I don't know any better and nether will the engine...

I was surprised they were so far out... .009 is a LOT when you are talking machined surfaces!!! Goes to show... if your going to pull your heads to do gaskets... GET THEM CUT!!! Again I will post pics of this little event later tonight (hopefully).

Deuceswild

Devilman96,

Here's were I put mine with the advice from cranetruck and it works out perfectly.
I also included a couple pics of the pyro and boost gauges. As you can see I chose Isspro gauges 1 because there is no power required to operate the pyro unlike some other brands and 2 because I like the "Quick Glance" danger zone.
Hope this helps.
Jeff.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thats a very nice set up dueceswild! Where did you get that box the guages are in? I have auto meter guages that require 12v for the pyrometer. Would'nt mind getting that set up.

Deuceswild

Djfreema said:
Thats a very nice set up dueceswild! Where did you get that box the guages are in? I have auto meter guages that require 12v for the pyrometer. WouldDjfrema,
Thank you,
I fabricated the box from 14 GA. sheetmetal and sized it to accommodate the 2 gauges.
Jeff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks