• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric fuel pump

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flame heater gets its fuel supply from the "pre filter" pump on the fuel injection pump. The flame heater system also includes a small pump mounted on top of the engine. This pump increases the pressure to about 90 psi before feeding it to the flame haeter nozzle.

Cold diesel fuel is actually very hard to ignite. The nozzle spray pattern can be checked by removing the assembly from the intake manifold adapter (IM-adapter) and mounting it in a clear plastic jug. The result of the spray should be a fine mist.

I found that the shape of the intake manifold adapter matters. On my N/A engine the flame heater worked just fine, but when I later added a turbo, the speed of the airflow through the new IM-adapter snuffed out the flame.

To monitor the operation, I built an optical sensor, which screws into the IM-adapter and has a indicator light on the dash.
Spraying raw diesel fuel into the intake manifold is not good.:nono:

sorry for not being more clear on what vehicle is am working on . it is the m51. i bought this truck a few months ago with a blown engine. just located and installed replacment engine. thought maybe flame heater trouble was due to poor prime but im pretty sure it is well primed now and has a very good spark. wow! so if it is supplied from the mechanical pump that explains why it would not fire [just to test] when i tried to make it work. it must only work while cranking.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have also noticed a difference in the igniter spark plugs that seemed to help on my truck. My M543A2 seemed to be intermittent on igniting the atomized fuel. I disassembled and cleaned the nozzle assembly, cleaned the little felt filters in it, tested the spray pattern on it, and found all in order. The spark plug also had plenty of fire. There have been comments made that trucks with the turbo intake will not or do not consistently ignite the preheat fuel spray because the air horn is different in design. Because of this, I looked at the difference, and can see the plug is possibly not as favorably located in the turbo air elbow. The spark plug that was in my M543A2 was of what I will call conventional design with the electrodes in a visually "normal" location. I went to a turbo parts truck and took the igniter spark plug out of it. I immediately saw the electrodes on this plug extended about 3/4' down from the end of the plug. I put that plug in my engine, and the heater lights every time now. It apparently got the spark down into the spray pattern for more dependable ignition. Has anyone else seen this difference in igniter plugs? I will have to look at the part number difference on them. I certainly recommend the extrended reach plug.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks