• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric power steering for M35A2 Deuce

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hit 70 years this past summer, and already having bad shoulder joints, my A2 Deuce is really testing my body this year.

I've read how others have adapted various power steering systems to their A2's, but wonder if modern electric power steering,
either in the form of an electric pump/conventional sector, or the shaft assist system, coul be a solution for me.

Anyone tried this method? If I can't get some steering assist, I'll probably have to rehome my truck.

Thanks,

Jay

canadacountry

I'm not sure about e-steer as its quite new as far as finding any secondhand heavyduty ones goes (save for wrecked highway tractors with relatively intact frontend) but hmm might or might not be your thing to recheck about certain old buses and tractors (kenworth in particular re latter) for air powersteer provided mainly by ross but also some others too

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After watching about 487,591 videos on YT about electric power steering, consulting with my local mechanical wizard, and checking some prices, I've decided to proceed cautiously to adapt a steering assist module to my A2's steering shaft.

I don't need one finger steering when stopped, I just need some reasonable traveling assist for my ailing shoulder joints.

From first looks, I'm guesstimating around $250 in parts, and should never even have to climb under the truck to fit the power steering assist unit in place.
But I will be down and intimate with the engine bay and drivers floor area.

Will also need a 12 volt tap to power the unit, I think around 30 amps peak, as the unit doesn't have a draw except when under load in one direction or the other.

I'll keep this forum up to speed on my progress...if this works, this may be the answer to lot's of SS power steering desires.

Jay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks