• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

Brad900

Does anybody have a electric winch on their deuce? I am thinking about one becuase of the cost & it would be used for light use.

rmgill

Brad, I looked at that for my 5 ton for the bed. If you're going for the same weight capacity, you're looking at about the same cost once it's all installed. Good cable for hooking up to the battery is going to be expensive.

BTW, Where in Atlanta are you? I'm Inside the Perimeter, are you too?

marksgarage2

Elec winch

When my son and I were at aberdeen, I saw 24 volt hummer winchs. My idea was to mount one on the rear. I have a pto winch on the front, but would love to have this setup. Would be easier to use by yourself. Mark

TheSHAD0W

The problem w/ electric winches is, when you use them near their rated capacity, they overheat very easily. Some electric winches have thermal cutoffs that'll try and disable the winches before you burn them up, but even then they'll only pull 2 feet or so before they overheat and you have to wait for them to cool down. For light duty they're okay, but for your deuce you'll probably want something heavier.

The only thing better than the deuce's PTO winch IMO would be a hydraulic winch. Like the PTO they can't overheat, and unlike the PTO you can't break them by overloading them. It's easier to run hydraulic lines to them if they're in odd places. I've also heard that you can get conversion kits for 10K and 20K deuce winches by contacting the companies that made them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks