• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

:( electric

SsjSned

Hi guys my cucv has original 24volt hooked up still.When I got the truck no lights(head,turn,hazard,brake),black out, or horn would not work(well not sure if the black lights are on or not bc last owner painted over lenses but hitting toggle switch dosnt turn lights back on). it dosent have the glow plug module/relay thing next to the brakes on the driver side so glowplugs dont work.To start the engine i had to put 1 sec of ether in filter and the starter still worked.Engine runs fine with 40k miles. turning on the key only GEN 1(driver side) would light.put new belts on engine.The powerstering mount for alt tension bolt is cracked off(cant really tighten the belts).The engine used to shut off ok but then it started to diesel with the key out.(Had to plier the fuel drainback line to shutoff). Thought maybe the shutoff sol was bad or dirty. Some one told me to check if it was the solinoid or a diff elec problem causing it to diesel by taking off the wire to the top of the IP when running to see if it shutdown.When i went to start the truck back up no crank no GEN 1 light nothing?. also my wipers stoped working when she was running last. :( no fuses seem to be blown in the panel. What is the most likey problem? Want to just fix the problem of not starting then ill fix the lights. Any help welcome thanks

SsjSned

yea but if the plugs arnt hooked up it cant hurt the engine right? only damage if the glowplugs are working causing the ether to ignight at the wrong time. i heard that the plugs can still be damanged though. Well I wont have that prob anyway since it wont even crank but thanks for the heads up. Ive read somewhere that people use a ford glowplug relay bc its more durable?

devilman96

Ditto on the either... worst $hit ever invented by man to be used on engines... use to like it in my youth though!!! LOL Maybe thats what's wrong with me today??? Glow plugs or no glow plugs don't use either!!!

I hate to break it to you but I think you and a good ole wiring schematic are about to snuggle up with a volt meter and have a little love fest amongst your selves. I would start with battery cables and go forward (don't over look the obvious) make sure you are well grounded, tracing hot wires all day and night to find their all good is really frustrating. Battery to engine, engine to chassis, chassis to frame... blah blah blah!!!

wyliek

your wiper problem is probably just bad connections, my wipers were realy screwy wen i first got the truck they didnt work tehn fast would work but slow and spray didnt either
i pulled all the connections loose and cleaned em and they've worked fine since then.

CCATLETT1984

There are several previous posts in the forum on converting your truck over to a manual switch for the GP's , Its a very simple process and you can wire it in to your wait light in the dash.
I would have the alt's tested, if your batteries keep running down.
I might have a bracket on the spare engine I have, I'll check and let you know.

I would only use starting fluid on these engines if it is an emergency situation and you know that the GP's are not functioning, and even then use only a second of the spray or you could do really bad damage to the engine really quick.

Armada

NEVER EITHER A DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why do some of the dueces have either injection then to aid in cold starting? Granted it is not to be used unless 20 deg. F or lower. Is it because they have a different compression ratio and no glow plugs? I always use it in the winter and it really saves a lot of cranking time.

Attachments

IBEZKUM

I had a similar problem with my truck!
Nothing worked, After EVERYTHING WAS JUST WORKING!!!
Drove Me Crazy, tested every wire, every connection, every switch.
Everyting checked out, had twelve and twenty four volts where needed!
Thought my meter was wrong, Then it hit me,
Many people, have been under this hood before Me!!
Started at the battery for the forth time, this time tightining everything
Someone had put a new glowplug relay in , left it hangin by the wires
The nuts on the twelve volt Lugs on the fire wall were loose!!
So you can test all you want, you have to tighten too!!!
TIGHT IS RIGHT!!
As far as the either goes, I still prefer the hair dryer down the intake!!

Attachments

ida34

No glow plugs make it ok to us the either injection on the deuce. We had it stock on the 900 series five tons when I was in. I am no expert but I think the only problem is when the either comes in contact with a hot glow plug that is hotter than the flash temp for the either.

BKinzey

Yep! Taking a chance on the either igniting from the glow plug before the intake valve closes. GREAT BALLS 'O FIRE! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

WD-40 works very well though.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep FWIW, etherin a 6.2 or 6.5 is a bad idea. Besides glowplug concerns hitting these with ether is strictly a manual affair and it is easy to over do it. Ether start kit on a big truck or tractor is a different animal. It doesn't take much more than one bad GP to keep the 6.2/6.5 from starting. I have used the old WD40 with the propane propellant to great success - the new "safer" version doesn't seem to work well. A heat gun or hot water dumped on the intake (carefully) have also worked for me in a pinch too 8)
Chad

n1vbn

Armada said:
NEVER EITHER A DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why do some of the dueces have either injection then to aid in cold starting? Granted it is not to be used unless 20 deg. F or lower. Is it because they have a different compression ratio and no glow plugs? I always use it in the winter and it really saves a lot of cranking time.
OK Guys Diesel 101 is now in session. 6.2 Diesels use a precombustion chamber that the glow plug warms up and the fuel injector injects the fuel into. It uses a pressed in insert in the precombustion chamber and this is what gets damaged if you use either on a 6.2/6.5 engine.

The engine in the picture uses direct injection where the fuel injected is injected on top of the piston. This is the preferred way for max efficency that all Diesel engine makers use today.

The Either injection system you see mounted on the firewall is just that. A system that operates one of two ways...mechanically or electrically. The mechanical system has a cable you pull and hold to fill a small machined space with either that when the engine is cranking you push the cable in to inject the either. The electrical system you push and hold the button and release the button to inject the either only when cranking the engine. Remmember this is a measured amount of either so as to not damage the engine. Yes either can be used on Diesel engines in moderation only provided there are no glow plugs. The either system uses the correct amount without going overboard. When useing a installed either system and the engine dies after the first either injection then try again exactly as you did before only on the second attempt add about an inch of throttle to keep it running and once it is running even though it is running rough, very cold Diesels will start and run on less the the number of cylinders it was built with DO NOT USE THE EITHER SYSTEM OR A HAND BOTTLE OF EITHER ON A RUNNING ENGINE AS THAT IS THE FASTEST WAY I HAVE EVER SEEN SOMEONE DESTROY AN ENGINE. Keep the rpm's under 1,000 until the engine smooths out and runs on all cylinders. After the engine smooths out you can take thy foot off the throttle.

If you have to use an either bottle use it vary sparingly. and only on a engine that is cranking over NEVER USE EITHER ON AN ENGINE THAT IS NOT CRANKING..no more than a pffft about a 1/10th of a second MAX. Remember that either is more explosive that dynamite which is why it works so well in a properly installed injection system. One can of either has enough power to level your house and the attached three car garage. This is a case where a little goes a long way.

personally I like the remover the air cleaner cover and stick a hair dryer into the intake and leave it run for 10 mins on high heat. You will need to assist the start with additional throttle as only one side of the engine will start but it will be a lot safer for the engine to start this way. I have had ocasion to use the hair dryer method and it does work but expect white/blue smoke until it is running on all cylinders my neighbors thought I blew up the engine and actually came over with a cup of coffee and kind words. Was very surprised to find out my engine was fine...I laughed when he told me he dosen't use his alarm clock anymore as my M-1009 engine starting up wakes him up just fine!!!

I croaked my glow plug module so I installed a manual push button and it's been fine ever since.

Questions for those using a manual push button on the Glow Plugs in a 6.2-
Which number glow plug are you using?
Are you using it in a 12V or 24V configuration?
How long do you 'hold the button' on your particular unit?

I have owned a few Diesel Scouts (Nissan 6-33) Also have one in a CJ-10A Flightline Tow Tractor. The scout was push-button stock. The Tug appears to have been 'modified outside the factory', shall we say?

CAUTION! OPINION STARTING HERE!!
it appears to me that the degree of 'overbuilt' determines the validity of using ether, or an ether-start system. GM 5.7 Diesels have 0% overbuild, and will weep and faint at the sight of an ether can. An Older (60's) John Deere tractor engine is built with at least some degree of 'overbuild' especially considering it's HP rating... the one I used to use a lot would not start cold even on some warm days without it.. I think the non-glow plug Multi, like most other Direct-Injected, non-glow-plug engines have enough material, and large enough (and numerically enough) head bolts to handle ether, at least in extreme cold.
END OF OPINION

peace
Dave

CCATLETT1984

I am using the GP's from ssdieselsupply.com
The cucv's use 12volt glow plugs, that big thing behind the air cleaner, mounted on the firewall, is a set of dropping resistors that takes they 24v from the two batteries and drops it to 12v but keeps the amps high. This also has the benefit of spreading the load over both batteries. On my setup I have the wait light wired up to still function, and I just hold the button until it goes out, on a cold day I will hold it for a few seconds longer. The GP's from ssdieselsupply are non-swelling, so extended heating cycles aren't supposed to give them issues.

JUST BE SURE NEVER TO HIT THE BUTTON WITH THE TRUCK RUNNING, YOU WILL BURN OUT YOUR PLUGS!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks