• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical issues M1008

CPYoung66

I have an ‘84 M1008 and cannot hold a charge....I’ve replaced both batteries 2x, had 1 bad alternator rebuilt but if I don’t start/ run it every 2-3 weeks it goes flat. There is some sort of electrical “leakage” but I have no idea where to look or how to track it down. It’s become such a PITA, I’m considering converting to 12v just so I can jump start it with another vehicle.
all lights off, hood 24v solar trickle charger works, and the “all off” switched next to the black out light switch.
any thoughts suggestions appreciated

cucvrus

I have an ‘84 M1008 and cannot hold a charge....I’ve replaced both batteries 2x, had 1 bad alternator rebuilt but if I don’t start/ run it every 2-3 weeks it goes flat. There is some sort of electrical “leakage” but I have no idea where to look or how to track it down. It’s become such a PITA, I’m considering converting to 12v just so I can jump start it with another vehicle.
all lights off, hood 24v solar trickle charger works, and the “all off” switched next to the black out light switch.
any thoughts suggestions appreciated
Converting it to 12 volt is not the answer. Do you have Gen 1 and Gen 2 idiot lamp when you turn the key on? That is where you start. i just had a plow truck converted to self exciting voltage regulators and now the lights don't have to work and the system charges as designed. Converting something that doesn't work to begin with is like crushing the vehicle and trying to rebuild it again in a different way and have the same results. You still have the same issues and more issues now with a different voltage instead. Good Luck. Happy Holidays. May I suggest you pay a knowledgeable person to do the repairs?

Keith_J

What are convoy night lights?
Blackout marker and brake lights. These are LED. The front drive light over the bridge plate holder is the blackout drive light.

These are 5 MPH max speed lights, only useable on moonless nights.

Keith_J

To find the parasitic drain, rule out the fuse circuits by pulling fuses one at a time, then using a voltmeter set in the amperage measurement mode as the "fuse". Do this key off.
There are a few diodes in the circuits which could draw a few miliamperes in reverse bias.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks