• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical system

Redleg130

This project is very tedious. Everything is a tremendous pain in the backside. It is worth doing as I am finding corroded, worn, and vulnerable items pretty much everywhere so its good that this system is getting attention.

Not electrical, but this has bugged me for awhile. The knock out for the winch lever is just open, and I can't find a cover for this. I made one from thick rubber, using a dremel to cut a deep groove in it so it holds, the backside has adhesive so it should hold.

e23.jpg

The junction box from Amazon will likely work pretty well, its fairly sturdy and fits on the (I think) regulator mount. I did need a piece of sheet metal and generally my garage has a magical property of having bits of scrap that meet whatever need I have, but it took a bit for this one. I did end up cutting up an old washer/dryer cover plate for the sheet metal, which took awhile to shape but it will work.

e24.jpg

With a place to connect the various wires, I can start actually wiring stuff up. I won't reuse any of this wire, but I am leaving it until I replace it so I have some reference for what connects to what. Replacements will be in loom, I started with key ignition set and am very happy with the protective wrap plus fabric tape combo

e22.jpg

I did run into a snag, the starter solenoid post does not have enough room anymore and I am not sure what to do. The thicker battery cable is good but the alternator and two ring terminals need to go there too. One ring going to ignition via ballast and the other going to fuse box. Do they make a solenoid with a longer post?

Last edited:

John Mc

Is there no kind of electrical terminal duplicator or splitter that will work? (Something like what you see on modern car battery terminals, where the main connection goes to the batter post, but the clamp also has one or two smaller terminals to piggyback other wires on it.)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A special nut is made for joining two pieces of 'ready-rod' or 'all-thread' in 5/16NC or 3/8NC thread.

Maybe use one of those, with the high current lugs on the first thread, and the others under a short cap screw.

Rdinatal

You need one of theses. Mount it on the firewall where it's accessible. Move all wires but the battery wire to the new buss bar. Then run a 4ga wire from the starter terminal to the buss bar.

Screenshot_20240427-065706_Amazon Shopping.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks