• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Woes

restlessrobie

Hello and good morning everyone. I recently picked up a 1954 M211 and she is in decent shape for the age. The only real problem I am having is finding a source of the Douglas Bayonet connectors to repair the wiring. Which given the age and number of owners the harness needs a rebuild and well I would like to keep this old girl as stock as possible for now. She did not make the trip home and had to have her towed but the fix was not terrible I rebuilt the bearings and repacked the axles in the front and will be going through the rear as time permits. If any of the old salty military vehicle restoration guys have any other advice as to what I need to look at or repair your advice will not fall on deaf ears. I am a GM technician and most of the repairs on this girl are simple by todays standards on my boys and I are having a blast repairing her so far. Thanks again in advance and I hope to see you guys at rally and meet up in the future.

Erik
1954 M211

duece1.jpg

duece2.jpg

duece3.jpg

USMC 00-08

You might give Vintage Wiring of Maine a call. At one time I believe they sold pieces for the harness and I know they still make complete wiring harness for these.

http://vintagewiring.com/product-category/m-series/m135/

It looks like the spare tire carrier was removed and the fuel tank mounted in its place. When you went through the front wheel bearings, was the driver side different than the passenger side? The driver side resembles an M35 while the passenger side looks correct for an M211. I believe the part I am referring to is called the drive flange.

That truck looks like it will be a neat project for you! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep us updated!

restlessrobie

I thought the fuel tank was on the wrong side I am looking for a spare tire carrier now and need some work on the steering as well. Both sides of the wheel bearing were exactly the same. Part numberso were correct for the bearings and seals. I will have to give vintage wiring a try thanks for the info.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. I am a GM technician and most of the repairs on this girl are simple by todays standards on my boys and I are having a blast repairing her so far. Thanks again in advance and I hope to see you guys at rally and meet up in the future.

Erik
1954 M211
With a GM tech in the crowd, you're more likely to be helping us then us helping you. It's always good to hear a guy say those words...."Repairs on this girl are simple".

Reasonably priced 'perishables' are a challenge for most of us. Spark-plugs, Spark plug wires, repair kits for the airpak, Engine repair kits, transmissions, wheel cylinders, exhaust manifolds....little things that help keep the trucks going.

You'll find a NOS harness. It wasn't that long ago that I did the "M135 parts" - "M211 parts" - "G749 parts" search and found all kinds of NOS items. A search for the terms "G749 wiring harness for sale" found us one that looks like it sold for $50.00. All the way from Paso Robles, California, United States back in April. Vintagewiring may have what you need but either way, let us know what you find! Nice truck to invest in.

We came up with a spreadsheet and USMC 00-08 has been pouring 'current/ available part numbers and suppliers in there. I gotta say that he's been instrumental in data entry and has found a ton of new parts, thanks USMC 00-08!.....http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137722-G749-Parts-List

If you have part numbers or additional numbers for the bearings/ seals etc., , it's greatly appreciated if we can add them to the list.

Welcome aboard!

restlessrobie

I am waiting for the part list from the shop to get invoiced but yes I will add the Timken/SKF part numbers for all the wheel bearings and seals to the ever growing parts list ;-) So this poor girl has been pretty hacked together if I am not mistaken the lights are supposed to run of 24v and I can not seem to figure why they are running on 12 well that is a problem for another evening. She is driving slowly but under her own power. Need to drain and flush the fuel tank and I hope a carb refresh will help that. If anyone comes across a spare tire carrier I would greatly appreciate a heads up.

USMC 00-08

I have a couple spare tire carriers on my parts trucks. No idea what they might weigh or how easy/awkward they are to ship since I have never taken one off of a truck. Maybe we can look around and see if anyone is going though this area on their way up to yours over in the Transportation section.

restlessrobie

Got a spare tire carrier and a few other needed parts in a trade semi locally thanks for the offer. I will cancel the transpo request I have plenty to keep me busy for a while my next parts search will be to get a PTO winch together for the girl but that will probably be next year. As for the parts I will get drop box all set up when I get back from the trip with the wife (to find spare parts) off with out the kiddos. :)

USMC 00-08

Does your truck have this piece that the spare tire carrier bolts to?

0719161759.jpg

I am betting it was cut off when your fuel tank was mounted in its place. That part is riveted on and I do not have power where my parts trucks are to grind them off. Unless I can find someone with a generator that can power a grinder or a cutting torch to cut the rivets.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well crap let me know when you can get it off and I will work on transportation or pay shipping
I have at least one that is bolted on that might be easier. Come up north for a holiday, pull it off yourself and take it away. I'd commit to a trip to Lethbridge, 5 hrs from here but it's still a long way from 'The Sound". I may also be able to get it to Powell River if you'd rather boat up and get it. It's a big piece, probably 50lbs so we'll need to be creative.

USMC 00-08

The carrier itself is bolted on. Just not the piece the carrier bolts to to keep if from swinging out while driving.

Did they by chance leave this piece on your truck when they mounted the fuel tank?