• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Heaters

Jones

For you fellows in the colder climes; I ran across this site www.maesco.com Go to the browse products column and click on Kim Hotstart Preheaters. They also have a decent line of Baldwin filters and Racor fuel systems stuff.

nothing against the prev. post but i use a Hotbox. i have quick couplers on it and several of my pieces of junk. simple to use just hook it up and go have a coffee. 10-15 min. later engine is at operating temp and starts easy. completly portable. just need a 12 volt source. weighs about #35. [thumbzup]

Hot Box

FSBruva said:
When I looked up "Hotbox" I got some websites that made me blush...

But I found these...
http://www.stewartwarnersw.com/ (The original Hotbox)

http://www.espar.com/htm/Specs/water/wterheat.htm (Alternate option, can be 24V, and run on diesel - permanent intall??)

Matt
FSBruva's first link is exactly what i have. they are actually made to be permanently mounted on a unit but with a couple of quick couplers and battery clamps your good to go.

rizzo

Hot Box

Dave P said:
FSBruva said:
When I looked up "Hotbox" I got some websites that made me blush...

But I found these...
http://www.stewartwarnersw.com/ (The original Hotbox)

http://www.espar.com/htm/Specs/water/wterheat.htm (Alternate option, can be 24V, and run on diesel - permanent intall??)

Matt
FSBruva's first link is exactly what i have. they are actually made to be permanently mounted on a unit but with a couple of quick couplers and battery clamps your good to go.
that sounds like a great idea. How much?

rizzo, the one i have i got out of a junkyard. actually got two and made one and have spare parts. these thing were very popular 15-20 years ago. the one im using is 22 years old! maybe check the link for prices. they sent me a parts breakdown last year when the ignition box on mine went to heck. i will keep my eyes open for more of these in my junk yard adventures. the only problem is with the price of scrap so high, most of the old trucks are dissapearing fast around here ! By the way thanks Matt for putting up the links as i strugle just to communicate here with you all!

n1vbn

Hey guys,

Don't forget the Webasto Diesel Fired auxiliary hot water heater. This is used on the latest modern trucks so you should be able to find em in the truck junkyard. Here is the link.

http://www.webasto.us/press/en/am_trucks_heaters_823.html

Here are the specs.

Specifications BlueHeat Thermo Top C
Weight (kg) 3.2
Max. heating duration (Minutes) 60
Heat output (kW) full/partial 5.2/2.6
Fuel consumption (kg/h) max. per full heating phase appr. 0.3 / 0.6
Power consumption (W) full/partial 32/22
Variable Heat Output 8,600 to 17,200 Btu/h
Parking ventilation (optional) +
Dimensions (mm; LxWxH) 214x106x168
Controls
Thermo Top C
24 Hour, 3 Event Digital Timer
or
Remote control

And they are available in 12 or 24 volt if you want to buy new.

Hotboxes are good but this is another option.

Food for thought.

hot rod deuce

Hey if anyone is interested i have been mounting 30,000 BTU multi-fuel water heaters on two wheels carts and using them for "hot boxes" I bought some arctic starting kits a while back for this reason. It takes mine almost 45 min to heat a 3406 cat to operating temp. Not sure how big of a motor you were refering to but its a WHOLE lots bigger than a multi fuel

This only came to be beacuse our beloved "hot box brand" died after thirty some years of good servie

jatonka

Keep it simple, Olds 455 or Jeep 4.0L engine block heater 2.00" frost plug heater. Never had one fail as long as you don't start engine wuith it plugged in. Ant y Napa or Parts + or Advance Auto or Auto Zone, Or me. John Tennis

Rattlehead

Options are good. Bought my truck with the goal in mind of making a go anywhere hunting camper out of it. So, I have installed the multifuel coolant heater from the arctic kit, ether start, and also a freeze plug block heater for convenince when power is available. Don't want to be stranded out in the middle of the woods, miles from help!

My pickup is an old indirect injected diesel, so I have a covered outlet on the outside of my garage, with a heavy duty programmable timer inside. This way you can plug the truck in anytime during the evening, and just have it come on about 3 hours before you plan on leaving, instead of powering it all night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks