• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Mechanic Needed

brompton

Purchased a 1970 Deuce from Gov Liquidation. I need an engine mechanic to help me get the engine started. The Deuce is in Tyler, TX - the closer the mechanic the better. Any references would be appreciated

Attachments

rdixiemiller

Try a little sniff of ether and see if it fires. If it does, look at the fuel system. You may have anything from a fuel filter, lift pump, to an injector pump acting up. Check that the fuel shutoff isn't stuck. Verify that the lift pump is working, if the truck sat a long time (most in GL have), you may have drained all the fuel back to the tank.

mangus580

I am sure they will speak up, but Desert Rat, and Ken are both in the Houston area, I am sure they can probably give you some local advice if need be :)

Sorry guys... Had to help ya out! :)

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
brompton,
I'm not sure which base your truck is coming from, but call the motor pool on the base and ask to speak to the 'person in charge'. Offer to 'hire' one of his diesel mechanics. Say, a couple hundred dollars if necessary. You're bound to find someone who knows these and will be able to get yours running.

That's what I did when I tried to purchase a MAN 8x8 wrecker. Paid one of the motor pool guys $100 to give it the once over. He did and it was the best $100 I spent. Too bad it went to someone with loads more money than me. They ended up with a great truck.

Congrats on your purchase! Looks like a great truck! jim

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, what a great idea WALLEN, so simple ,yet very effective, i just wish i thought of it, thank you, this was a idea that should have come up a longgggggg time ago, but better late then never.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never buy any vehicle with out a complete 'look see' by the correct qualified mechanic. NEVER. Of course the only new vehicles we buy are my wifes. All of mine are used.

And if I don't buy whatever I was looking at, I give the report to the owner so they can see WHY I didn't take the leap, as it were.

I apply this to lots of area's. Like most realtors want you to go look at a house, write a contract and THEN get it inspected. We do the opposite.

Get it inspected (we used the realtors inspector), THEN make the offer, as we stand on a position of knowledge, rather than having to 'negotiate changes' in a contract. It's just SO MUCH EASIER.

As a gunsmith, I will repair a firearm and give it back to the owner. I tell them to shoot it and if my repairs are 'up to their standards' then they owe me 'X'. Over the years, I've got only one guy who still owes me $10. But he's a street cop with three kids, so I don't expect to see it any time soon.

SixBuy

Turn on the Master switch and listen for the lift pump in the tank to run. Open the bleeder screw(s) on the fuel filter and see if there's fuel pressure. Crack a line to an injector and check for high pressure fuel delivery while cranking. If all fails, get out your checkbook!
Seriously, I think the "hire a motor pool mechanic" is the best I've heard! We're in Dallas if we can help. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks