• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Oil

willysmd

Hi Guys
Probably been asked before but what is the capacity of the oil in the engine (Hercules LDT 465) and what type of oil goes in there, the reason I ask this is my oil pressure has dropped to 15/20 psi and after checking it the viscosity is very thin so I reckon I have been putting the wrong stuff in :? thus giving me very little pressure.

Should have a board called "I may be stupid"

Any help appreciated

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, I have just been through this. My oil pressure was low because of low viscosity and after a lab analysis of the oil, it turned out to be a problem with fuel mixed in with it. The viscosity had dropped to about 5.7 centistokes (at 100°C) from a normal of about twice that.
I'm suspecting the Fuel Density Compensator on the injection pump and have bypassed it.
The oil I use is 30W, but many like the 15W40.

See related thread ""Oil analysis report...scary",

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11853

willysmd

Cheers for thet Bjorn sounds about right then, how many gallons of oil is in the sump by the looks of your picture there a few cans worth.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did not know that are they easy to spot
Way easy, you can't miss 'em. They are a little over 1" I think, like maybe 1 1/8 or 1 1/16".

rdixiemiller

1 1/8" box wrench fits.I drained the small sump first, then the large. I got 13 gallons out of mine, courtesy of a leaky FDC and a 100 mile trip to Atlanta and back. I now have better oil pressure, and the engine runs fine on the engine drainings!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Engine Oil

rdixiemiller said:
1 1/8" box wrench fits.I drained the small sump first, then the large. I got 13 gallons out of mine, courtesy of a leaky FDC and a 100 mile trip to Atlanta and back. I now have better oil pressure, and the engine runs fine on the engine drainings!
13 gallons!!! So you had some 8 gallons of fuel mixed in?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Engine Oil

willysmd said:
What is the FDC, what does it do and do you need it?
It monitors the fuel viscosity, and adjusts the stop block accordingly, which determines the max fuel delivery to the Fuel Injection Pump.
Its purpose is to provide a rather constant power output of the engine based on the BTU (heating) value of the fuels specified in the TM for the engine.
It is not needed for normal engine operation and is bypassed because it was found to leak fuel into the governor housing and mix with the engine oil.

My FDC did not leak during the first ten years I had the deuce, only in the latest oil analysis did fuel show up in the oil....

Without the FDC, the engine is still a multifuel and will burn almost anything as usual. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks