• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine shut off delay?

2INSANE

Pull the pink wire from the IP with it running. If it shuts off immediately then the problem is on the truck wiring side. If it delays then the problem is inside the IP.
Ok. So if it is the IP, what do I need to replace?
If not the IP, what could it be? Just thinking ahead of the game.

Keith_J

The device inside the injection pump which shuts off the fuel flow is an electromagnet with a spring loaded plunger. 12 volts applied to the pink wire retracts the plunger against the spring force, allowing the metering valve to open. Likewise, when power to this terminal is cut, the spring forces the plunger to close the metering valve.

Some early solenoids can get dirty and this slows or stops the plunger movement. It can be cleaned, new quality parts are under $100 and easily swapped. Part number is 26214, SOLENOID 12V ETR. Replacing the governor cover seal is recommended, 27244 . Reinstalling the governor cover requires care, place the cover on in a forward position and slide back.

2INSANE

The device inside the injection pump which shuts off the fuel flow is an electromagnet with a spring loaded plunger. 12 volts applied to the pink wire retracts the plunger against the spring force, allowing the metering valve to open. Likewise, when power to this terminal is cut, the spring forces the plunger to close the metering valve.

Some early solenoids can get dirty and this slows or stops the plunger movement. It can be cleaned, new quality parts are under $100 and easily swapped. Part number is 26214, SOLENOID 12V ETR. Replacing the governor cover seal is recommended, 27244 . Reinstalling the governor cover requires care, place the cover on in a forward position and slide back.
Ok. Thanks for letting me know! Much cheaper then a whole new IP!

Barrman

Keith explained the IP side. The truck wiring side is a bunch of could be things.

It could be the actual ignition switch which is down at the bottom of the steering column is a bit out of adjustment in relation to the rod that comes from the keyed ignition cylinder.

It could be one of your alternator exciter wires is somehow cross connected to another wire which will keep voltage in the IP pink wire until the alternators wind down below 8.0 volts or so.

It could be an alternator relay is sticking open and doing the same as the line above.

It could be your key cylinder is worn and not really getting all the way to off.

There are probably a dozen more things it could be. Don't forget the short between the steering wheel and the seat. This could be all in your head after all.

2INSANE

Keith explained the IP side. The truck wiring side is a bunch of could be things.

It could be the actual ignition switch which is down at the bottom of the steering column is a bit out of adjustment in relation to the rod that comes from the keyed ignition cylinder.

It could be one of your alternator exciter wires is somehow cross connected to another wire which will keep voltage in the IP pink wire until the alternators wind down below 8.0 volts or so.

It could be an alternator relay is sticking open and doing the same as the line above.

It could be your key cylinder is worn and not really getting all the way to off.

There are probably a dozen more things it could be. Don't forget the short between the steering wheel and the seat. This could be all in your head after all.
Ok cool! Thanks for letting me know! I will tackle this issue and a few other things this weekend!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the meantime, throw a pair of vice-grips under the seat. If you're out and about and the truck fails to shut off at all, pinch the feed line to the IP.

Also, "inside the IP" isn't as daunting as it sounds because the shutoff solenoid has it's own little compartment. Mine has security torx screws holding the cover on, so be prepared for that.

Barrman

Agree. The shut off solenoid is easy to do once you pull the top cover. I had a newly rebuilt pump not turn off the first time I started the engine with it. The pliers turned it off and stayed in the truck for a week until the new solenoid showed up.

Keith_J

The ETR solenoid is an electromagnet when the engine is running, meaning it will attract all of the wear particles from the transfer pump, cam ring, timing plunger and governor. These items are hardened steel, the wear particles are sub micron sludge. There is enough residual magnetism to hold the sludge in place when the engine is off, this is the most likely cause.

This also means the pump has wear issues. Swapping the ETR solenoid in the pump is just a patch, the pump will need complete overhaul in the near future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks