• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine won't start, no glow light - Thanks for helping me fix it :)

SarahJ

I'd like to express my gratitude to the Forum and it’s contributors for all the information that is available. By using the Forum resources I've learned a lot about my Humvee and manged to sort out a problem where it would not start.

I've had my M988 Humvee (6.2l) for about three months now. I had one breakdown in my Humvee a couple of months ago, where everything died whilst driving. After checking everything was plugged in under the dash it started again. I got home and checked the connectors to the Master Switch, a bit dirty so I cleaned them and all seemed to be well.

Now about two weeks ago I went to start my Humvee and nothing, had lights but that was all. I tried checking the Master Switch again, still nothing. When I turned the Master Switch to run, no 'Wait' light came on and the engine wouldn’t turn over. A few people commented it could be the Protective Control Box gone bad.

After reading some great posts on the forum I was getting a good idea what my control box, a Nartron EESS, actually did and with the help of the TM's had a good idea of the wiring as well. I have a bit of electronics experience and being on the 'careful' side with money ( I was brought up in the North of England ;-)) wanted to preclude everything else before purchasing a new EESS/S3 box.

After first disconnecting the batteries, read many warnings about that. I examined the Master Switch connectors again, all seemed fine. Then disconnected the EESS box, the EESS box connectors were nice and clean, the loom engine connector again clean but the loom body connector was slightly oxidized and one pin to the light switch was slightly worse. The body connector was given a good clean with WD40, pipe cleaners and inter-dental brushes. I checked most of the wiring with a multi-meter from the loom body connector and everything was fine. After reading other posts I checked some of the earths and fitted extra earthing leads and gave the battery connectors a really good clean. Connecting back up and still nothing.

EESS Plug 2.jpg

Last resort was to make up some test leads with the proper military black rubber shell connectors and also the correct size pin that would fit into the loom body connector. I wanted to use these connectors so I had hands free to flex the cables and connector joints. I just started plugging into the loom connectors that will hook up to the Master Switch, when I thought I must have fitted the wrong size pin as the socket was a lot larger then the pin. Tried the other two Master Switch sockets, one was even bigger and one smaller? Then I realized the sockets had opened up an awful lot, hopefully this was the problem :).

MSC.jpg

The photograph above shows the three sockets that had opened up, with a new socket on the right for comparison.

Fitted three new military black rubber shell connectors, connected everything up including the battery last. Turned the Master Switch to 'Run', the 'Wait' light came on for a few seconds, tuned to 'Start' and the engine fired up straight away. Joy!

I wouldn't have been able to sort the problem out with out the Forums resources. Many thanks :)

All I need to do now is sort out the problem with the Alternator periodically over volting.

Sarah

Last edited:

papakb

Sarah,

Welcome to the Steel Soldiers Forums. You'll find there are a couple of very good websites to assist HMMWV owners with problems on their trucks. The first thing I always suggest to new owners that I can't stress enough is to get a copy of the manuals. About 90% of the questions I see listed are covered in them. You can download them for free on many sites online, purchase them in hardcopy, or on a CD. If you can't find them online send me a PM and I can send you a copy by mail. Another great forum to look at is on the G503 bulletin board here:
http://forums.g503.com/viewforum.php?f=117

If your ever over near RAF Mildenhall you might stop by the motor pool and ask if they have any extra manuals. Most bases get far more of them than they need and they'll give you a hard copy to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks