• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

estimated cost of a custom canvas for M101

TITANBOW

I'm looking to put a black canvas cover on my M101 trailer. I have reached out to 5 or so different upholstery and boat cover type shops here in the Denver area, and the few that have replied so far are asking 1500 on the low end to 2500-3000 on the upper end. That just seems really high, but I've never had something like this made. I'd be interested in feedback from guys that might have had a custom canvas cover made? What is a realistic and reasonable price for something like this? Im just looking to do a basic black canvas, with zippered rear flap, and a couple of clear vinyl windows. Outside of local canvas upholstery and boat cover type shops, are there other places or business types to look for? What should I be

Trailer2.JPG

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might look at places that do tarps for semi trucks.
What you want might be a little smaller than they are used to, and I don't know if they will do the clear windows or not, but those prices you're getting seem a little steep when something like a lumber tarp 24'x27' is around $300.

Just one example

Bthor1

I'm looking to put a black canvas cover on my M101 trailer. I have reached out to 5 or so different upholstery and boat cover type shops here in the Denver area, and the few that have replied so far are asking 1500 on the low end to 2500-3000 on the upper end. That just seems really high, but I've never had something like this made. I'd be interested in feedback from guys that might have had a custom canvas cover made? What is a realistic and reasonable price for something like this? Im just looking to do a basic black canvas, with zippered rear flap, and a couple of clear vinyl windows. Outside of local canvas upholstery and boat cover type shops, are there other places or business types to look for? What should I be

View attachment 811981
Canvas is not cheap these days, especially when you want windows. I should get my Grandfathers stuff and learn to sew at those prices

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those lower prices seem reasonable for what your wanting.
Canvas isn’t cheap anymore snd isn’t easy to work with because of the weight, plus you want windows too.

Try 98G’s suggestion and give that place a call.

That trailer looks great. Nice color.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 811981
Trailer looks great.
One suggestion to help keep your new "yet to be had" cover from tearing. Buy some black foam pipe insulation and install over the conduit supports. It will be nice and soft to help prevent wear through especially at the fittings.

TITANBOW

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I actually got a place in Denver that got nothing but good reviews online, that does custom boat covers mostly. They are doing black sunbrella with a rear zipper and clear window, for $1200. I dropped off the trailer a week or so ago, hoping it will turn out good, I will definitely post pics once I get it

Reactions: 98G

TITANBOW

OK, so I went and picked up my trailer today from the canvas shop. Im north of Denver, and found this place in Denver that does canvas boat covers. https://www.paulscanvas.com/ Man, I am really happy with the results! big heavy YKK zippers throughout, everywhere that would see added wear is doubled up and reinforced. Quick turnaround time, the staff there were incredibly friendly and helpful, and the workmanship is waaaay beyond the price point! I am really really happy with it.

Trailer1.jpgTrailer1.jpgTrailer2.JPGTrailer4.jpgTrailer6.jpg

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I turned my M101 into a “camper”, I bought a vinyl top for a M880. The size was perfect and it had a clear window on the front and rear flaps. I also made my bows out of 3/4 conduit. I riveted 1/4” plywood on the top of the bows. Then I put a 1” piece of foam insulation on top of the plywood. This kept the top flat so water didn’t pond and the foam gave the vinyl a cushion so I didn’t have chafing problems. I used to tow the trailer at high way speeds without any any problems.952A50DA-7CED-47E8-9CAC-FCE4888C2C30.jpegC1873B33-929E-4CF2-987F-567FF10ADBEA.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks