• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether bottle stuck

ramdough

I need to remove my ether bottle.

My truck is from Hawaii, so my guess is it is completely full.

I tried to turn it by hand (I am assuming it is like a propane bottle), but it would not budge.

I am a little worried about what will happen if I put my large channel locks on it. I am thinking, I may want to do this outside on a breezy day in case I accidentally purge the bottle.

I plan to do this tomorrow morning.

Any suggestions on method?

PPE?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third From Texas

Seriously, I'd soak the fitting with PB Blaster or something. And yeah, absolutely outside in a good breeze. I doubt you will hurt the tank (the fitting would be more likely to break I would suspect).

JD4044M

Mine was stuck too real good! The tank was rusted and when I tried to remove it the Tank tore off the fitting!! Then I could get ahold of the part in the threaded hole. I used a pipe wrench and a also held the bottom cause this is connected to a tube you can screw up twisting it around. Once I got the threaded part of the tank out it was clean looking so I put the threaded Cap/Plug made for it in the hole to keep it clean.

JD4044M

Heat will do only harm on this! Spray some penetrating fluid the day before and let it set over night. If the tank is rusted you should be able to pull the canister on a angle and go back and forth till the tank breaks off at the screw part of the tank. Then remove the tip in the fitting.

Third From Texas

Heat will do only harm on this! Spray some penetrating fluid the day before and let it set over night. If the tank is rusted you should be able to pull the canister on a angle and go back and forth till the tank breaks off at the screw part of the tank. Then remove the tip in the fitting.
Well that and either is HIGHLY combustible/explosive.

Pretty sure the related comments were understood as being in jest.

:)

And the tank is full, he suspects. So breaking it off would also be a bit dangerous...

JD4044M

I know just that the part that would be needed heated is in the fitting and no way you can heat it and not damage other stuff. My bottle was empty it had a rusted hole in it too. My can crushed with a chain wrench the rust was so bad and started falling apart to the point I could pull it forward that is why I just finished the job breaking it off. If full whole different game be careful removing it no sparks!!

ramdough

I was joking about heat and driving a screw driver through a probably/possibly full bottle.

I missed my window to spray tonight. May have to spray tomorrow and try Sunday.

Too much to do.

ramdough

I was joking about heat and driving a screw driver through a probably/possibly full bottle.

I missed my window to spray tonight. May have to spray tomorrow and try Sunday.

Too much to do.

Well, I could not leave that post alone…. Went out and sprayed the fitting. It is obviously rusty from the angles I have to shoot PB blaster from.

I even put a coat of satin black on my rust repair I did last month.

I will try again to remove the ether bottle tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you own a chain wrench ( 16 in handle with what looks like the jaw of a monkey wrench then a roughly same length heavy sort of like motorcycle chain with post sticking out of both sides of each link that tool with a cheater pipe if needed will remove just about anything round there is!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks